Fulcrum Racing 7

roof30
roof30 Posts: 58
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I am thinking about buying some Fulcrum 7's in red for my Specialized Sirrus (will go nicely with the black). I notice that these are for 10sp cassettes, and was wondering if they will be fine with my 8sp?

Reason I'm buying them is that the colour scheme will go well and I've found a place on the web where I can get them for less than £100. :D

Cheers
roof30
Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Comments

• suze
    suze Posts: 302
    I got a pair before Xmas and have been riding them ever since. Mr Suze rides a pair of Fulcrun 3s. I've used them all winter, as winter wheels, even for weekending, light panniers etc, and have been impressed. Great Value for money

not sure whether they'll accept 8 speed but I've riden them with 9 and 10 speed cassttes.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The Fulcrum Tech Info page suggests the Shimano/SRAM version will take 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    8,9,10 and 11 are all same width drop outs so should be fine but I may well have
    Missed something
  • jonty1977
    jonty1977 Posts: 63
    Where have you found them for less than 100?
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    jejamescyles were doing them for £99.82 for a brand spanking new pair, however, they have now sold out (doesn't mean they won't get them back in if you want to order a pair tho')

Next cheapest I can find is tri-1st.co.uk who have them at £108.

Cheers
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    I've got Fulcrum Racing 7s on my new bike, and while I agree that they are nice-looking wheels, one thing that surprised me was how noisy the freehub is! I've previously heard Fulcrum wheels being described as 'Campagnolo in disguise', and now I can see why! While the noise doesn't bother me (actually I think I'm coming to like it), if you're looking for stealth then Fulcrum might not be the right choice.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yeah they are seriously loud, i do find it a bit anoying truth be told but other than that nice wheels
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    I have a pair on my winter bike.... originally with an 8 speed cassette that I later upgraded to a 10speed with no issues

... and the noise is apparantly very campag,.. i've got used to it, ... in fact i miss it when i go back to the summer bike
  • I have a set of Fulcrum 5, they didn't seem that much more expensive than 7s and were reputed to be much better and i like v much.

I've just put them back on my bike this week, a Genesis Vapour, and compared to the stock/winter wheels (Alex rims, Tiagra hubs and ultra gators) the 5s shod in GP4000s feel so smooth and light I feel completly re-enthused (if thats a word) and want to ride my bike further, longer and quicker.

The only problem I had with them, which I've read on here before, is getting tyres on them was a massive ball ache. I'm not sufficiently techy to know why one wheel should be harder to get a tyre on then the next but it was a huge pain in the thumbs. Once the tyre has been on once and presumably stretched I've had no real problems fixing flats.

As for the freehub noise, i think to the unaware it sounds like you have cheap wheels but like others I quite like it and I occasionally pedal backwards to make some noise to warn dopey pedestrians.
  • Fulcrum racing 5s are only slightly more expensive and are a much better wheel.