Idiot with a question - Campag brake pad replacement

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Have bought some KoolStop Salmon replacement pads. They say they're Campag year 2000 onwards compatible but I guess my question is in two parts.

1. - will these fit my 2008 Centaur skeleton brakes (a quick look at pad and holder suggests they're about right)?

2. - I've had a look at the skeleton brake instructions and the pads appear to just slide in/out. Is this best done by removing the holder from the caliper and do you not need to apply much force? I did had a quick tug on one of the rear inserts and it didn't budge.

Forgive me, I've only replaced Shimano pads in the past. Their holders had a retaining screw and then the inserts slid out easily.

Comments

• gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    >> I did had a quick tug on one of the rear inserts and it didn't budge. <<

sounds like you have answered your own question

you could also use a small skrew driver to help them on their way
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, they're not a 'sliding' fit and you do need to lever the old ones out. A bit of washing-up liquid on the sides helps to slide the new ones it. I've always had to the remove the pad and holder to replace them.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    Complete pain in the bum to get the pads out. I have resorted to cutting some out as they wouldn't budge at all. I find it helpful to wedge a really small srew driver between the pad and holder at the open end and then squirt some gt85 or washing up liquid down. If they are really really stuck try removing the caliper from the bike and with the pads attached to that try and lever them out on a square edge of a workbench, the caliper gives you a bit more to hold onto.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Thanks for the replies. Slight relief I'm not alone in finding resistance from the pads to shift. I'll take the holders off and have a bash tomorrow.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I use a good set of pliers to get the old pads out. Just lock onto a corner and twist out. It works for me :)