Dalby or Sherwood Pines this weekend, please help me decide

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Looking to give one of the trail centres a go this Saturday with my 13 yr old son.

Really looking for something which will keep us busy for 2-3 hours, possibly looking at a blue route plus getting a taste of some singletrack would be nice.

Don't really want anything too challenging for our first time out.

I live nr Wetherby so kind of live midway between Sherwood or Dalby so willing to try whichever is likely to suit best.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could try Wharncliffe? Not a trail centre, but a myriad of routes - you can make it as hard or easy as you like!
  • Dalby is far more of a challenge and more fun than Sherwood Pines
  • hairy_boy
    supersonic
    Thanks for the heads up on Wharncliffe, looks interesting !
    Parking for Wharncliffe ? is there a 'proper' car park, where would you suggest we park to easily find our bearings ?

DeryckSayers
    Wasn't sure how the 2 compared so thats useful, thanks.
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Dalby red route is pretty long [26 miles] with a fair amount of climbing. Great fun if you have the fitness to enjoy the downs!
  • hairy_boy
    At Dalby can you do a blue route with some red sections and back onto the blue or is it do the red route or do the blue route, never the twain shall meet ? Hope this makes sense ?
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I don't know about Dalby but Sherwood is a good blast. The main xc loop is about 10 miles but there are lots of other little bits of singletrack to explore, plus there is the dirt jump park if you're feeling really adventurous :)

Being in Notts there are no massive downhill sections but you can make it as challenging as you like....
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Start at Low Dalby on the Blue route and then do the Riggs and Dales section, this should keep you and the lad going for a good few hours. The Red section starts at the section known as E31 London Borough of Islington. Alot of ups and downs, but great single tracks and loads of fun. Hope you are both fit?
    If I could get your email address then I will forward you a good quailty map of the area.
  • hairy_boy
    lane ranger

pm just sent
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wharncliffe has two car parks, one just off Woodhead Rd, and one in the Oughtibridge village.

There is a website somewhere with maps, wharncliffe.info I think!
  • hairy_boy
    Had a great time at Dalby Forest yesterday,

My lad and I took the blue/red route out of the carpark which was kind of a snaked single track climb which was quite hairy as it was wet - wondered what I'd let myself in for at this stage to be honest :shock:

Anyway after the rude first climb things levelled out a little and we followed the blue route but peeled off after a bit onto several singletrack red routes. We did about 8 miles over 2 hours and then followed the orange 'escape' markers back to the carpark - we were both completely knacker'd but happy !

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves although the weather was sh*te - wet and cold !

My Giant Terrago performed admirably, although my sons cheap Halfords bike struggled a bit - now looking for a better bike for him - had a look at some ex-hire Kona Fire Mountains at the bike shop there which looked like good value at £175 but they only had 14" frames, no 16" bikes left which was a shame - he tried a 2009 Fire mountain in a 16" which was perfect for him. We have had nothing but trouble from his halfords cheapo so were kind of on the look out for something better but our day at Dalby has confirmed this for us.

Thanks for the advice and we will be going back to Dalby (hopefully when its dry !).
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    We have had nothing but trouble from his halfords cheapo so were kind of on the look out for something better but our day at Dalby has confirmed this for us.

Trouble is on a better bike he may leave you behind :lol:
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • hairy_boy
    deadliest wrote:

Trouble is on a better bike he may leave you behind :lol:

Hadn't considered that :D

He's at the age where I can see that happening in most things we do now (its awful getting old !)