Metallica last night at the NEC

fatblokefromwarwick
fatblokefromwarwick Posts: 331
edited March 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Anyone else from here see them last night?

Absolutely awesome and back to their former glory. They do command the stage, which was in the centre of the floor and my ears are still ringing now.

I was the drunk'ish one in a Yeti top ! lol.

Comments

• Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    Anyone else from here see them last night?

Absolutely awesome and back to their former glory. They do command the stage, which was in the centre of the floor and my ears are still ringing now.

I was the drunk'ish one in a Yeti top ! lol.

I used to listen to them , went off them after 'Load' though - i was always a die hard Iron Maiden Man (as i'm sure you noticed from my Avatar & Sig. ) . They're back on form then ?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I don't really see how they can be back to form considering that the tour is to promote the utter tosh that is Death Magnetic...
  • whyamihere wrote:
    I don't really see how they can be back to form considering that the tour is to promote the utter tosh that is Death Magnetic...

they did go downhill major with the shite that was St Anger but Death Magnetic ain't half bad at all !
  • Furbes
    whyamihere wrote:

they did go downhill major with the shite that was St Anger but Death Magnetic ain't half bad at all !

Their worst one had to be Load , it sounded like they were "softening up" if i can call it that ... haven't listened to St Anger because i didn't hear anything favourable about it , so i wasn't going to waste my Time with it .
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I loved Metallica - they were the band that got me into metal when I were a wee lass (it was 'Eye of the Beholder' that did it for me). I loved all their albums up to and including the black album, but Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets were always my favourites - and are still easily in my top 5 albums.

But I actually cried when I heard Load, I was that disappointed! :lol: I gave 'em another chance with Reload, really hated a good portion of that too. St Anger...I listened to some of it on a listening post in HMV, and loathed what I heard. I think it was the drums that did it for me - sounded like a three year old hitting an empty tin of Quality Street with a wooden spoon. Whilst trapped down a well.

I did get Death Magnetic. Not bad, but not exactly great either. I think people are only excited about it because the previous three studio albums were so god awful, so it seemed a masterpiece by comparison. James still has that tendency to put on a mock-southern states accent, but it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be.

I still would have loved to have seen them live again, but the tickets sold out the day they went on sale, and I missed out. :(
  • Just been looking through my old tickets. I first saw them in Sep '86 at the Brum Odeon & amonst other venues, twice at Milton Keynes Bowl.

The band do realise what the fans enjoy as a high proportion of last nights songs were from their earlier stuff.

Master of Puppets is an all time classic which sounds no way near 23 years old !
  • Furbes
    Just been looking through my old tickets. I first saw them in Sep '86 at the Brum Odeon & amonst other venues, twice at Milton Keynes Bowl.

The band do realise what the fans enjoy as a high proportion of last nights songs were from their earlier stuff.

Master of Puppets is an all time classic which sounds no way near 23 years old !

True ... best Song on it is Welcome Home Sanitarium ... Classic :)
  • Furbes
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    I loved Metallica - they were the band that got me into metal when I were a wee lass (it was 'Eye of the Beholder' that did it for me). I loved all their albums up to and including the black album, but Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets were always my favourites - and are still easily in my top 5 albums.

But I actually cried when I heard Load, I was that disappointed! :lol: I gave 'em another chance with Reload, really hated a good portion of that too. St Anger...I listened to some of it on a listening post in HMV, and loathed what I heard. I think it was the drums that did it for me - sounded like a three year old hitting an empty tin of Quality Street with a wooden spoon. Whilst trapped down a well.

I did get Death Magnetic. Not bad, but not exactly great either. I think people are only excited about it because the previous three studio albums were so god awful, so it seemed a masterpiece by comparison. James still has that tendency to put on a mock-southern states accent, but it doesn't seem as bad as it used to be.

I still would have loved to have seen them live again, but the tickets sold out the day they went on sale, and I missed out. :(

You can't beat an Iron Maiden Gig :!:

I keep all my Tickets from every Gig i've been to , i've seen Iron Maiden ... 12 Times :!: :!:
  • I've seen my all time fav band RUSH 18 times now !
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Furbes wrote:

I keep all my Tickets from every Gig i've been to , i've seen Iron Maiden ... 12 Times :!: :!:

Yeah, seen Maiden loooooads of times. First time I saw them was on the X-Factor tour with Blaze Bailey at the Wolverhampton Civic, which...well, Blaze is a nice bloke, but he's not Bruce, is he? :lol: Second and third time I saw them was when they did the reunion shows in Paris and Rotterdam.

Seen them a fair few times since then, and every time is awesome.\o/
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    The best thing Metallica ever did was S&M. After that, they decided to "return to their roots" and turned out St Anger. I'll admit that the album was tosh on the whole, but did have a few cracking metal tracks - The Unnamed Feeling for instance.

Maiden, on the other hand have continued to progress, and have grown into the epic sound we've had on Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death - and have, as a result, a much bigger, anthemic sound.

The best bands around today are Maiden, Muse and Dream Theater
  • Furbes
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Furbes wrote:

Yeah, seen Maiden loooooads of times. First time I saw them was on the X-Factor tour with Blaze Bailey at the Wolverhampton Civic, which...well, Blaze is a nice bloke, but he's not Bruce, is he? :lol: Second and third time I saw them was when they did the reunion shows in Paris and Rotterdam.

Seen them a fair few times since then, and every time is awesome.\o/

They only played over here once with Blaze , i actually thought he was pretty good , the thing about him was , he didn't try to sound like Bruce :!: They often played 'secret' gigs over here as the ''nodding donkeys & charlotte & the harlots''
  • whalley665
    whalley665 Posts: 150
    Metallica are amazing!! I have all their studio albums, S&M and the demo for death magnetic. Ok, load wasn't great but it is still better than the crap that modern metal bands come out with now. Am going to see them soon, can't wait. Maiden are also great and i've got all their studio albums and i saw them a while back.
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.