Comparing Bikes

Ellie82
Ellie82 Posts: 59
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I just wondered how the best way to go about comparing the spec of 2 bikes when you haven't got a clue whats good and not so good? :lol:

It is a case of reading reviews and forums etc. or is there any good books available so I can get a better idea?

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    This forum imho is great :D
    Everyone seems very helpful and patient with new folk who don't know what's what. Which bikes did you have in mind? That would be a good start :)
  • MAMB
    MAMB Posts: 121
    In my (limited) experience I've found that there's a lot of very good advice to be found in these forums, particularly if you use the search facility.

Haven't come across any good books I could recommend though, other than the Zinn books of bike maintenance.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Well that definately explains the confusion as these 2 bikes are almost identical!

Usually when comparing bikes you'd look at:

Frame material(titanium, carbon, steel or aluminium(or a mix of different materials) (i think these are simply both aluminium, with carbon forks, however i think the Bianchi has carbon rear seat stay(the part of the frame that goes from the seat to the rear wheel) (apparently carbon isn't as harsh a ride but i've not really noticed much difference with my aluminium))

Groupset (Shimano go: Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra (then Ultegra sl but it's mainly just a different colour and a few grams lighter so no big advantage), dura ace, then the new electronic shifters Di2 i think they're calld)

There are 3 main competitors in the equipment market(ie brakes, gears, cranks and all the components which actually drive the bike(groupset))

Campagnolo are known to be more classy but not so good value(ie going to harrods rather than tesco), however this is my opinion and many will dispute that the groupset that they happen to own is the best(they're all the same realistically)

Campagnolo groupsets go: Xenon, Mirage, Veloce, Centaur And record, and then super record.

Then we have sram which go, um, i think it goes Rival, Force, Red( all lists go from lowest spec to highest)

Wheelsets are a consideration, if you're cycling mostly round Englands rubbish roads then lightest isn't best as they buckle easier (this is my experience and i can't afford a 1500 pound set of wheels so for the same price point stronger is better than lighter in England imo)

Most importantly is the fit of the bike. Different bikes have different shapes(the 2 you suggested look near identicle in geometry) Usually more race orientated bikes don't have as much slope on the top tube(the horizontal section of the frame which goes between the seat and the handle bars) where as more slope means a more upright riding position which is more comfortable on longer rides but maybe not quite as aerodynamic.

Most, most, most importantly(and i can't stress this enough) Get the bike you like the best to look at because if you don't love your bike then it wll frustrate you :)

I'm probably quite wrong though so stand by for some of the forum 'veterans' to shoot me down :D
  • Ellie82
    Thanks, exactly what I needed :wink:

Makes alot more sense now thanks :D
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I know it's already been said but it's so important that I'm going to say it again............ make sure the bike fits correctly. This doesn't mean a "stand over" test where you just stand over the bike and see if it's about the right height. The bike shop should put it on a static trainer and set it up correctly for you. They should adjust the saddle height, check the saddle position (forwards and backwards) then check the reach (saddle to handlebars). A good bike shop should change the stem (the bit that attaches the handlebars to the bike) for a shorter or longer one if necessary.

Struggling with a bike that isn't the right size is miserable and will put you off cycling so make sure it's right, even if you have to pay a little bit more.
  • Ellie82
    Could anyone recommend a good bike shop where they set bikes up for you in that way and that would have a big range of bikes. Bike shops I have been in touch with locally say they can get the bike in but it will be on special order (so in other words I have to buy it :roll: )

London must have a good place somewhere?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went to Epic Cycles over in Hereford to get that kind of service. Seemed a long way to go but it was well worth it. Have a look at their website to see the range of makes they sell.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I also went all the way to Epic. 200 miles each way but it was worth it. Chris will make sure you get a bike that you're really comfortable with and that matches your budget.
  • Ellie82
    Thanks i'll get in touch with them :wink: