Dave Hinde...

theboyDonald
theboyDonald Posts: 219
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
I ordered a pair of their handbuilts couple of weeks ago, they had not arrived in the two weeks stated on the website, so I phoned up. Guy was really apologetic,they were struggling to get the hubs I had asked for, I explained that I was needing them for a run on Sunday, they have sent me a more expensive pair of Factory Shimano wheels on next day delivery. I realise they get some stick on various forums, but I have used them a few times and never had anything but A1 service. Just posted that in the interest of balance.

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Interesting, it's rare that people praise good service in my experience, but they're all to quick to b1tch when something goes wrong :?
  • same problem getting my wheels a few weeks ago (from bikedock) seems madison dont have too many hubs in stock - but i wanted a 36 spoke rear which probably didnt help
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I ordered something of Dave Hind's eBay shop today. Paid by Paypal immediately, and withing two hours received an email that item had been despatched. I'll let you know when it arrives, but it's looking good.

I've bought from them before, a Campag headset. Waited a few days for delivery, eventually phoned them up, when they admitted they were out of stock and were awaiting more. Asked for a refund and it was given straight away, no argument.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    So there we go, Dave Hinde is not the cycling demon he is portrayed to be :?

P.s i still wouldn't order from him lol
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Your dancing with the devil - so they get a lot of sales right, clearly, but their behaviour when they do it wrong is utterly monstrous!

Things they said about some of their eBay customers:
    * LYING SCUM, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, DOESNT PAY + LEAVES NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. NML SFB

* THIS GUY IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, SUCH A SHAME COS WE HAVE WRECKED YOUR RATING

* NOT TO BE TRUSTED, LYING FILTH. DONT DEAL WITH HIM UNLESS U WANT RIPPING OFF

* LYING SCUM, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCAMMER AS FAR AS YOU COULD THROW HIM (NOT FAR)

* FUNNY THING IS THIS DESTROYS YOUR RATING. YOURS DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

The full version.

Oh, and there is the Advertising Standards Authority adjudication against them.

And more threads about them than any other store - and they are not from happy customers.

If you want to buy from this sort of character, fine, it takes all sorts, although it's a bit like believing that smoking is safe just because you know a few people who didn't die from it! I would prefer to give money to the good guys.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm with Alfa - after all the horror stories - I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

Glad it worked out for you guys tho.
  • Alfa; It's a bit like smoking. Actually no, we all know that smoking is dangerous.
    The reason for buying was price. My LBS who would be my first choice wanted £10 less for one wheel for a cheaper hub than DH wanted for the pair. I can't comment on ebay as I will not use it. The two conversations I had with them went fine, I got what I wanted. I have used them a few times now for the reason I stated above. I also felt that the level of customer service I received was worthy of praise...so I have :D
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    His ebay shop is highonbikes isn't it ?

I tend to spread my purchases between them and woolyhatshop and have no issues with him.

From what I can gather though,when things do go wrong,their customer services and general manner with complaints could be alot better.
  • alfablue
    -Liam- wrote:
    No, Hinde traced as Number1bikebits till late last year, then opened an eBay account called Fastpartsforbikes, presumably to try and leave some of his dreadful feedback behind.

Highonbikes, on the other hand, are an excellent shop, no connection at all with Hinde.
  • alfablue
    Alfa; It's a bit like smoking. Actually no, we all know that smoking is dangerous.
    The reason for buying was price. My LBS who would be my first choice wanted £10 less for one wheel for a cheaper hub than DH wanted for the pair. I can't comment on ebay as I will not use it. The two conversations I had with them went fine, I got what I wanted. I have used them a few times now for the reason I stated above. I also felt that the level of customer service I received was worthy of praise...so I have :D
    You can only speak as you find, fair enough.

Yes, their prices are good, this is obviously the lure for customers, however many threads comment on wheels that are poorly built and go out of true often. I hope yours do better. Sometimes things can be too cheap.

Whilst we all should know smoking is dangerous, there are many people in denial, just because they haven't got ill, or they have a 100 year old great grandparent that has smoked all their lives.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited March 2009
    cougie wrote:
    I'm with Alfa - after all the horror stories - I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    +1 too, wouldn't use them myself or recommend anyone who asked me about them. They are one of the reasons I don't buy the comic anymore either, they always had avderts in, always give Hinde bikes glowing reviews and those reviews are always quoted in the adverts.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    fluff. wrote:
    [They} always give Hinde bikes glowing reviews and those reviews are always quoted in the adverts.

Funny that. I've got a Hinde MTB frame, and it's the worst example of bike workmanship I've ever seen.

I didn't send it back because I didn't pay a great deal for it (bought through numberonebikebits), but none of the things that make it poorly-built were alluded to in the eBay listing.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    proto wrote:
    I ordered something of Dave Hind's eBay shop today. Paid by Paypal immediately, and withing two hours received an email that item had been despatched. I'll let you know when it arrives, but it's looking good.

Well, I ordered it late yesterday morning and it arrive in the post today!
    A Pro-Lite seat clamp, £4.75, post free.
    Can't argue with the quality of service this time.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    -Liam- wrote:

I tend to spread my purchases between them and woolyhatshop and have no issues with him.

From what I can gather though,when things do go wrong,their customer services and general manner with complaints could be alot better.

ye gods no!

high on bikes is based in southport- hinde is based in northwich and trades on e-bay as fastpartsforbikes

highonbikes offer top notch service
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    -Liam- wrote:

ye gods no!

high on bikes is based in southport- hinde is based in northwich and trades on e-bay as fastpartsforbikes

highonbikes offer top notch service

Ahhh, my apologies!!..That explains why I've never had any probs with highonbikes !!

I have crossed paths with Fastpartsforbikes as well and it was not entirely positive.

It was an auction for a set of xtr gear cables that appeared to be a full set including the outer sleeves and all the seals and stuff but was infact just the inner cables.He wouldn't accept he was in the wrong, I claimed my cash back.