18000 around the world record

2»

Comments

• mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    edited July 2009
    In addition to the world record attempt by James Bowthorpe, Julian Emre Sayarer is also attempting to break Mark Beaumont's record.

Julian Emre Sayarer has cycled 3740miles in 34 days. His website is http://www.thisisnotforcharity.com/index.html

And Mark Beaumont is on his travels again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/
  • What are your thoughts on the route choices all these people are making, I know its impossible for guiness to set a route due to the changing world we live in but I am not sure that the route Julian Emre is taking is as challenging as the route Mark Beaumont and James Bowthorpe took.

I hope Mark's record gets beat after all thats what records are for, but cant help thinking that unless you take a similar route you are just beating the record and not the person if you know what I mean and to me this takes something away from it...

What are your thoughts?

PV
  • I myself was considering the route that julian has taken(not skipping austrlia though) but when i was looking at that route my immeditae thought was that people would think i was taking an easier route. As long as julians bike holds up , i do think he will break the record as he is missing out...turkey , iran , pakistan , india , australia. He has teh advantage of speaking another language aswell which is coming in usefull for him.

With turkey arguably being one of the toughest legs of the journey and australia being the one to test your mind and the obvious demands of pakistan and the others countries missed.

I have looked at julians site , i do belive in some of the things he stands for but i dont agree with how he has gone about saying it. Apart from that , i hope he does well , completes his journey and breaks the record.
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    What are your thoughts on the route choices all these people are making, I know its impossible for guiness to set a route due to the changing world we live in but I am not sure that the route Julian Emre is taking is as challenging as the route Mark Beaumont and James Bowthorpe took.

I agree Australia seemed to be the hardest part of Mark's journey, and simply missing such a massive continent like that detracts (at least in my eyes) from the value of beating the record. Almost does not seem worthy.

I personally do not see why Guiness cannot set a rough route as surely to beat the record the playing field has to be at least similar.

But as another member mentioned, if you are going to do this then perhaps really pushing the envelope and doing much more than 100 miles per day is the way to go.

It must be an amazing journey and experience, but you would have to do it twice - once to (try and) beat the record and then again to stop off and ejnoy all the amazing places you are passing through.[/quote]