FCN ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
Help with FCN

What is it ?

Can I get it ?

Is it a calculation ?

Excuse my ignorance, help and understanding is needed.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it's a sort of commuter-induced snobbery to seperate casual cyclists from more serious ones and to encourage some very pointless commuter racing (trying to catch / pass people with a better Food Chain Number).

It's a sort of fascist cycling class system...

Me, I'll take a more communist approach - if someone's on a bike it's a good thing.

I think that's what it is anyway. There are threads about it in the commuting section...

Oh, and you can get a much better explanation, and even calculate your own Food Chain Number on the site below:
    http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn/
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for that, there is something very satisfying about passing a workman on a £90 apollo in a fluro jacket, when Im on my litespeed. I am a snob and embrace the idea wholeheartedly.

ta.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    I'm not sure it's very fair - i have shaved legs and am exactly like a girl...
  • Anonymous
    Ive got shaved legs too, yoinks.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ash_ wrote:
    As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected on this...

http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn/

OK, I'll bite - It's quite the opposite of facist, the higher up the food chain you are the more you have to lose, the bigger the target on your back and the harder you have to work in order to save your face.

It's really all about David beating Goliath in a fight and then bragging about it, as in "I ride a shopper with a basket and I just overtook some pillock on a carbon beauty who was travelling at glacial pace" (this is a for instance, not sure it's happened but chapeau if it has)

It's all inclusive everyone can play.
    Oh and it is called SILLY commuter racing.

Most of us find that The Game plays us - sighting a possible scalp ahead can suddenly bring on a turn of speed you really didn't think you had, it's improved my speed no end
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Anonymous
    I have a FCN of 1.
    is that good or bad?
    Iknow Im being thick but I cant help it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    dmclite wrote:
    I have a FCN of 1.
    is that good or bad?
    Iknow Im being thick but I cant help it.

It means you have a HUGE target on your back. :twisted:

Be afraid... be very afraid :wink:

You'll have fat gets like me on my CX commuter swishing past at stupid heart attack inducing cadences just to get the scalp.

You b*stard :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    Ha Kieran burns, bring it on, 50 mile round trip commuter, you will die trying to catch my litespeed.

Flatbar eh?, flatline trying to scalp me, hahahahahahahahah(evils) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    ...and so it begins

Welcome to The Game, now go and read all 500 pages
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    dmclite wrote:
    Ha Kieran burns, bring it on, 50 mile round trip commuter, you will die trying to catch my litespeed.

Flatbar eh?, flatline trying to scalp me, hahahahahahahahah(evils) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You don't know the power of the Dark Side....

Road Bikes lead to Single Speed, Single Speed leads to Fixed, and Fixed leads to SCR.

When we first spoke you were the apprentice, now you are the Master.

Commuting calls you, leave behind these shackles of Cakeiness....... embrace your true feelings

anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    No flatbar. No hi viz. No day sack.

I am staying on the road bike path (eh?) I will not be swayed by the power of the darkside. I bet Yoda had a roadbike.