Fork with a Steerer Integrated Crown and a External headset?

RC21
RC21 Posts: 166
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my fork on my bike to an Easton EC09 SLX : http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/FORKS/09/fork_ec90_SLX_%2709.html

It says on the website that it has a: 1 1/8" Steerer Integrated Crown – I’m not 100% sure what this means but a Google and a search on here didn’t reveal much except it’s for bikes with integrated headsets . . . . . I don’t have an integrated headset on my bike which is a Planet Road Ti: http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1288 and has a external headset – like:

wcjndy.jpg

Does anyone know if this matters and I can use the fork with an external headset?
Would there be anything wrong with setting this up, this way and would it look funny or out of place?
Anyone else have a similar setup?

Thanks in advance for any help
Ryan (RC21)

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    It will look cr@p. What's wrong with your current fork?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    RC21 wrote:
    wcjndy.jpg
    The fork in that picture has an integrated crown. It'll be fine.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Thanks for the replies
    bill57 wrote:
    It will look cr@p. What's wrong with your current fork?

Just wondering why it would look crap? Does it not fit properly and look out of place?
    whyamihere wrote:
    The fork in that picture has an integrated crown. It'll be fine.

It's not an actual picture of my bike . . . . I thought it would be best to have a pic and nicked it from the web as it looks very similar to my bike although the fork in this pic isn't the same as mine but the external headset is . . . I'll get a proper pic later but from the pic I posted; how can you tell it's got an integrated crown? The fork in the pic looks okay to me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    An integrated fork crown typically flares to 50mm or so to blend neatly with the frame headtube - it is purely for aesthetics, mechanically it works exactly the same. Provided the fork crown is no bigger than the lower headset cup, it should look OK - I have a Ritchey with the same and it's OK.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Burghley
    Burghley Posts: 412
    Hi

I have three bikes with integrated forks and non-integrated head tubes (all from XACD).

My LBS have used a Blackspire headset, as it has quite a large diameter, and it looks fine.

However, the question I have just posted on the forum is "Is it possible to fit a non-integrated headset into an integrated head tube" (i.e. the reverse of the original question)

Rgds

Pete
    www.bikesetup.co.uk
    miles more cycling comfort