Tiagra STI lever reach

MAMB
MAMB Posts: 121
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Wife's bike is fitted with a Tiagra groupset including the Tiagra STI levers. Unfortunately she finds it difficult to reach the levers comfortably due to her fingers being that bit too short. On the Shimano instruction leaflet for the levers it indicates that the reach can be adjusted by fitting spacers. I've tried to get some of these through the LBS where she bought the bike but they've been completely useless and can't seem to be able to obtain the spacers (or lose them when they get them).

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to get these ?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited March 2009
    I believe the shims come in the box with the shifters, so a good LBS may have some. As for finding the part on its own, it seems impossible!

Apparently the parts are as follows:

Y-6LP 87000 R.H. Adjustment Block (8 degrees)
    Y-6LP 87010 L.H. Adjustment Block (8 degrees)
    Y-6LP 86000 R.H. Adjustment Block (4 degrees)
    Y-6LP 86010 L.H. Adjustment Block (4 degrees)

but googling those doesn't help!

Specialized make Slim Shims but I believe the various models fit 105 upwards.

I bought some for my g/f's bike (Ultegra) and they worked well, but they are really just a wedge of plastic with adhesive tape on, maybe you could buy them and modify them, or make your own version.

Actually I chose to upgrade her Sora shifters (which are adjustable for reach by a screw) with Ultegra specifically because I knew I could get the shims. I was paying only £25 for the shifters secondhand, but if I was buying new I think the Shimano R600/R700 models are designed for short reach, and I probably would have bought them.

Looking at the diagram, it might be feasible to make your own:
    shim.jpg
  • alfablue
    edited March 2009
    Actually, just checked Ultimate Pursuits (retail web site for Madison, the importers). They have a right hand 8 degree shim for £1.49, but the left hand one is temporarily out of stock.

The do have R & L in the 4 degree version, but that may not do enough.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    As a slight aside, can i just vote alfablue as being the most helpful person on Bikeradar? Excellent stuff.
  • alfablue
    Jamey, you embarrass me :oops: :wink:

thank you 8)
  • MAMB
    MAMB Posts: 121
    Thanks guys for the v. quick and helpful responses. After my original post I also tried e-mailing Shimano UK customer support (which, as alfablue suggests, is handled through Madison). They contacted me back with pretty much the same info that alfablue posted. The 8 degree shims are due in stock mid-April, apparently, so hopefully I should be able to get them then.