Paris - Roubaix in HD

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Good news fans!

It will be available in HD according to Mr Sherwen and all the footage comes from the same source so I'd guess it'll be on ES HD!

Only look at this if you're brave

http://twitter.com/PaulSherwen
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fantastic..... Now have to wangle an invite to my mates house to see it in HD !
  • iainf72
    There some kind of indoor cycling on Eurosport HD at the moment. I think it might be one of those obscure things like Cycle-Ball or something. :wink: All that indoor cycling looks the same to me.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    What do you think of HD ? I got Sky HD last week and im still wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe Roubaix wil look good in HD.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:
    What do you think of HD ? I got Sky HD last week and im still wondering what all the fuss is about. Maybe Roubaix wil look good in HD.

It's great MG. Depends on what you're watching but the Tour and Olympics last year were fantastic. I think Roubaix will look incredible too.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

It's great MG. Depends on what you're watching but the Tour and Olympics last year were fantastic. I think Roubaix will look incredible too.

I watched MSR in HD and it looked great but some films and documentaries dont look that much better though maybe its just my eyesight as i get older :-)

MG
  • iainf72
    MSR wasn't in HD. The Eurosport HD channel seems to look a bit better than normal ES.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    In my experience, HD is great for sport and documentaries, but for films, drama etc the level of detail is just too distracting - you can clearly see make up on the actors, finger prints on Wallace and Gromit...

I'm just very disappointed that Eurosport HD is not available on Virgin cable. :(
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Isn't HD just a way to make perfectly good TV's redundant and sell people new ones?

i.e. a triumph of marketing?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • iainf72
    chuckcork wrote:
    Isn't HD just a way to make perfectly good TV's redundant and sell people new ones?

No, it's this funny thing called "progress"
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Likely , by this time next year you maybe speculating on whether the race might be in stereo-3d .

As a lifelong stereo-photographer I've been waiting for the day when stereo made it onto TV . At last , Sky are doing something about it - I hope . It's not autostereoscopic yet ( free-viewing sans glasses ) but it's a start . I thought that there were certain Sky subscribers that were watching stereo-3d telly already . It wouldn't surprise me if Sky are at the races with their twin camera rigs .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHS86kZ1mM
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    chuckcork wrote:

Yeah. Same way colour TV was.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    HD is pointless if you just want to watch a news bulletin or a soap opera. But if you've got a sports event set on the side of an Alpine meadow, then... it's significantly better, you can just spot more details like the gear the rider is on or beads of sweat. I caught a couple of Tour stages last summer on HD (France 2) and it was good. Now it is double the resolution I think, so not miles better but it's good. I wouldn't rush to upgrade but if you were looking at it, give it a go.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    MSR wasn't in HD. The Eurosport HD channel seems to look a bit better than normal ES.

Ahh i thought it was a bit better so i thought thats it in HD, so not everything on the Eurosport HD channel is in HD then ?

MG
  • iainf72
    No, not that much on ES HD is HD at the moment.

Just use the (i) button and check for "HD" in the EPM. When it's HD cycling you will be gobsmacked.

The wooden circle stuff is HD if that floats your boat.
  • Kléber
    Eurosport relays images from others, it does not do the filming. For the French races, it relies on France Televisions for the images, and it's this that come in HD.
  • I would guess you ideally need a plasma screen tv to get the best out of HD? My parents have just spent about £1000 on HD / new flatscreen LCD, but to my eyes all the HD does is bring the fuzzy LCD tv picture back into focus.

Ideally for 'warmth' of picture I prefer analogue satellite through my old conventional tv, but then I still prefer music on vinyl records :wink:
  • HD is awesome.

You need a decent (and decent sized) screen to make the most of it though. But I only watch films in HD now, and some of the wildlife docs on BBC HD... breathtaking.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Lots of people buy tv's that aren't actually any good at displaying HD images, due to chasing a particular brand or a good deal, rather than checking reviews to find the best set for their price point. Having said that, I still think HD is a waste of money at the moment. A friend recently got rid of his for that exact same reason and he has a Pioneer plasma (the best plasma range out there).
  • squired wrote:
    Lots of people buy tv's that aren't actually any good at displaying HD images, due to chasing a particular brand or a good deal, rather than checking reviews to find the best set for their price point. Having said that, I still think HD is a waste of money at the moment. A friend recently got rid of his for that exact same reason and he has a Pioneer plasma (the best plasma range out there).

Why do you think HD is a waste?

Although I do think the £10 a month charge from Sky is extortionate (when you're already paying a fortune), if you spend £1500 on a TV, and then don't have HD i think you could argue that the TV was a bigger waste. Sky has at least 3 pages of teh "guide" with HD channels.

The difference between HD and SD is massive. Although a good DVD player does a great job on a decent tv.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Kléber
    French TV have free HD via Astra, called TNT Sat, but you need a French address to get the subscription card, valid for 4 years. I've got friends and colleagues who can help with this. I'm interested in this and thinking about the set up, another LNB, purely for the images of Rouxbaix and the Tour, a lot cheaper than a Sky subscription.
  • so MSR wasn't in HD on the HD channel? i thought it looked better on my HD telly than my other on but not as pin sharp as the alpine stages of the tour did last year which were brilliant.
  • iainf72
    so MSR wasn't in HD on the HD channel? i thought it looked better on my HD telly than my other on but not as pin sharp as the alpine stages of the tour did last year which were brilliant.

It was not HD.