What set up needed for Am road racing

RyanV49er
RyanV49er Posts: 8
edited March 2009 in Amateur race
I've ridden a few sportives over the last year, and I'm looking to get into road racing and TT. However, I'm not sure if I have the right bike for it or if I'll get laughed off the street...

I've got a 2008 Bianchi 928 c2c, Ultegra, FSA team components (including wing bars) and Mavic Aksium wheels. I bought it for long training rides etc, without racing in mind, but as I get more and more into cycling (I'm hitting around 100-150 miles a week at the moment) I've realised that I want to get into racing, yet I doubt I'm set up for it...

If I were to race on the 928 c2c, what changes should I make to it? I assume wheels is the first thing..

Would I look like a muppet turning up to race on this ride? Thanks for the help :)
A tip from Graeme Obree:
"It’s not about going fast, it’s about not going slow”
https://bitly.com/13JkMmU

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    RyanV49er wrote:
    I've ridden a few sportives over the last year, and I'm looking to get into road racing and TT. However, I'm not sure if I have the right bike for it or if I'll get laughed off the street...

I've got a 2008 Bianchi 928 c2c, Ultegra, FSA team components (including wing bars) and Mavic Aksium wheels. I bought it for long training rides etc, without racing in mind, but as I get more and more into cycling (I'm hitting around 100-150 miles a week at the moment) I've realised that I want to get into racing, yet I doubt I'm set up for it...

If I were to race on the 928 c2c, what changes should I make to it? I assume wheels is the first thing..

Would I look like a muppet turning up to race on this ride? Thanks for the help :)

Your bike's fine as it is - re. the start of the race, people are too busy anticipating the race ahead, rather than giggling at anyone else. If you don't know anyone, knowone's going to give you a second look. If you've got the cash, then yep, upgrade your wheels, but sufficient training to perform at that level is more important.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    RyanV49er wrote:

It's a nice bike, you'll look fine, you can race on anything. Once you've got some experience, you may want to think about getting something faster to make the difference between 5th and 10th say, but your bike isn't going to make huge differences, it's your fitness that matters.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Ok thanks for the feedback. Although I've ridden with a fair few riders, I've always had the impression that "other" riders are kit obsessed, so didn't want to turn up to the proverbial tennis match with a wooden racket... Don't get me wrong, I love my bike (wheels excluded) but I do realise it's not a racer :)
    A tip from Graeme Obree:
    "It’s not about going fast, it’s about not going slow”
    https://bitly.com/13JkMmU
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    No you'll be fine - I sometimes worry my bike (Look 585 - long story but kept trading up models when they couldn't get the frame I wanted in my size) is too expensive for lower cat racing. I reckon your set up will be pretty typical - maybe most have slightly more expensive wheels but by no means all and they wont make a big difference - it's 99% rider after all.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • As long as the bike is in safe working order and complies with the relevant regulations, then you can race on it. Who gives a toss what brand of frame/wheels/equipment you have. Get out there and have a go. :D

My first race bike was a Bianchi. I loved that bike.

After a while you might want to make changes depending on the type of racing you do but the most important change is to yourself - both fitness and mental desire to race and train. The bike/equipment used comes way down the list of priorities.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    jibberjim wrote:
    It's a nice bike, you'll look fine, you can race on anything. Once you've got some experience, you may want to think about getting something faster to make the difference between 5th and 10th say, but your bike isn't going to make huge differences, it's your fitness that matters.

there isn't a bike on the planet that will give you five places in a road race...
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I guess I was optimistic then to get a 4th cat licence while only have an audax bike... :?

Of course I was expecting to have a job to pay for a new one, and not expecting my my missus to tell me a week after paying for the licence that she was pregnant!

Maybe when I'm 40 I'll be able to afford it.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've raced on a lightweight audax bike - it does depend on what kind of audax bike it is though - 32c tyres and a rack and panniers are probably a no no.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Your bike is too nice. You need so get a crummy bike so that you can blame it when you get dropped ;)

I'm racing a 24lb cross bike at the moment. Apart from noisy brakes, it's just fine. Got to love the Campagnolo Avanti/Mirage/Veloce blend...