Hybrid Bike

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:

I agree, btw what sort of bike does your GF ride? :wink:

Don't get me started, although budget was a huge issue with her, and there's nothing decent to be had for £390 in road terms.

Oi!

I bought my SCR for that money!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

It did the job around the ML as did Bassjunkie, who has the same bike as me just a year older...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Personally I'd get a road bike or maybe a crosser. Try drops and if you really don't get on with them, then convert to flats. Personal preference of course but I'm not a fan of hybrids- most of them have a upright riding position whilst I prefer to stetch out a bit more.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DonDaddyD
    If I couldn't afford a road bike that I'd want I'd consider a single speed before I'd go back to Hybrid.

You can pick up a single speed from anywhere between £200 - £1000+. Depending on the usuage. I can't see why for purely commuting purposes a £200 - £400 single speed can't do the job (providing you live somewhere without hills, like London).

In fact I may still get a single speed after I buy the Kuota.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    eh I point you too my earlier "imaginary project" thread, I think you'd find that little number covers the single speed / function roadie angle :D

Boo hoo I need another bike :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Wiggle offer interest free credit as well which helps with the budget - downside is you cannot test ride.

I don't think Wiggle do offer interest free credit

WIsh they did

No, scratch that, I'm glad they don't....it could get messy
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I couldn't afford a road bike that I'd want I'd consider a single speed before I'd go back to Hybrid.

You can pick up a single speed from anywhere between £200 - £1000+. Depending on the usuage. I can't see why for purely commuting purposes a £200 - £400 single speed can't do the job (providing you live somewhere without hills, like London).

In fact I may still get a single speed after I buy the Kuota.

Beware young jedi - the dark side lures you 8)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wiggle offer interest free credit as well which helps with the budget - downside is you cannot test ride.

WIsh they did

I bought my Focus from them on interest free credit a few years back. They do a buy now pay later as well, so you can do that, save up every month and then pay the full whack before the 12 months are up and the interest kicks in.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

WIsh they did

I'll post this quietly then. ;) wiggle do 'Buy Now Pay Later Finance' with no interest to pay if you pay earlier than the term of the agreement...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ellie82
    Ellie82 Posts: 59
    uuuummm interesting :idea: :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    @Jash
    @JonGinge

Fair comment on the Buy Now Pay Later however to be a bit pedantic about it there is a £25 'arrangement fee' and an 'processing fee' of 1.6% levied on the balance owing

A £1000 focus bought this way will cost

£100 deposit
    £25 Fee
    £900 balance
    £14.40 processing fee

Total £1039.4

Also to be entirely accurate my analysis would have to include the £62.01 I've just spend on shoe/pedal combo because I had to go to Wiggle website to check out the detail :twisted:

EDIT Best make that £88.03, a pair of MTB slicks (cityjet) and a set of park tyre levers :roll: :oops: :roll:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • b_c
    b_c Posts: 19
    Any views on the Focus Corrente as a commuter bike . Have just started to commute (14 miles) on my old Trek 7.1 FX and this seems fast & good value-for-money? thoughts appreciated
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037614/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    That is a great-looking flat-bar bike. Good spec, a racing bike in all but handlebars.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    yup nice flat bared roadie
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @Jash
    @JonGinge

Fair comment on the Buy Now Pay Later however to be a bit pedantic about it there is a £25 'arrangement fee' and an 'processing fee' of 1.6% levied on the balance owing

A £1000 focus bought this way will cost

£100 deposit
    £25 Fee
    £900 balance
    £14.40 processing fee

Total £1039.4

Also to be entirely accurate my analysis would have to include the £62.01 I've just spend on shoe/pedal combo because I had to go to Wiggle website to check out the detail :twisted:

EDIT Best make that £88.03, a pair of MTB slicks (cityjet) and a set of park tyre levers :roll: :oops: :roll:
    Hmm. Can't remember there being a percentage completion fee when I last looked at the agreement. Maybe it's new, maybe it was wishful speed reading on my part.

In response to your post on the 'things i've bought' thread: :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    OK Ellie82 we;ve established that you are indeed a girl.... eeeewwwwwww

can we get some gender specific avatar's please! :evil:

:lol::lol: LOL :lol::lol:

ANYWAY BIKES.

Don't be bought into the whole gender specific bikes. Argon (bike maker) said it best, size is about the specific person not your gender. All you have to do is make sure the bike fits doesn't matter if its a 'girls bike' or not.

Cannondale are fine, but they don't offer good value for money as they price themselves at the premium end of each price point. I think for £800 you can find a bike with better specifications. As Jash said even with all the price hikes Focus (sourced through wiggle) offer great value for money.

For £700 -£750 you can have whatever Specialized, Giant or Trek are offering with a Tiagra groupset (same as the Cannondale).

Also, do you have access to a cycle to work or cycle scheme?
    Any views on the Focus Corrente as a commuter bike . Have just started to commute (14 miles) on my old Trek 7.1 FX and this seems fast & good value-for-money? thoughts appreciated
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037614/

Great look bike, with a really competitive price.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ellie82
    LOL sorry thought my name might have given it away :lol:

I really would like a test ride before I buy one (when i can decide which one :? ) and bit worried I wont be able to find a shop that has got it :( What is best to do, ring around different bike shops? Cant think of any decent ones in my area.

Don't have cycle to work scheme, chance will be a fine thing :cry:
  • DonDaddyD
    Ellie82 wrote:
    LOL sorry thought my name might have given it away :lol:

I really would like a test ride before I buy one (when i can decide which one :? ) and bit worried I wont be able to find a shop that has got it :( What is best to do, ring around different bike shops? Cant think of any decent ones in my area.

Don't have cycle to work scheme, chance will be a fine thing :cry:

OK just to recap.

You're planning on spending:
    up to £400 on a Hybrid or Up to £800 on a road bike/Flat bar.

Where abouts do you live? Then we can recommend a shop.

I almost never ring the bike shop, if they don't have the one you want they'll likely have something else you can try. I just pop in with wallet/card and passport if I want an impromptu test ride.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ellie82
    Ive been put off getting a hybrid now, i'll only wish id brought a road bike.

Really cant go over £900 for a road bike so thats my max really.

I live in Kent, don't mind travelling a bit though
  • DonDaddyD
    In fact girls look hot on road bikes:

Check these bikes out:

Trek 1.5

Specialized Dolce Eltie

No greater sight than a Woman on this bike

Like I said I'm not one to think that women need a womens specific bike but I've posted the female varients in any case. Personally sounds like you want a road bike just need a reassuring push in the right direction. You won't go wrong with a road bike.

When the time is right and you realise that you need to wear lycra with your road bike buy from here:
    www.cycle-clothing.co.uk

Also you may want to consider the following

Shoes and pedals
    Shoes
    Pedals

Lights
    Cat eye lights

Lock
    D-lock for the back wheel
    Cable lock for the front wheel

Pump:
    Mini pump for on the road punctures and quick roadside repair
    Track Pump to properly pump your tyres up

You will eventually need a cycle computer to check out your miles:
    Cateye Strada Computer

All the above can be bought after you buy a bike (whether you purchase a hybrid or proper road bike, I bought most of the above when I had a hybrid and still use with the road bike.) Keep in mind they are just recommendations and almost everyone will have other suggestions as per their preference, we can all agree that these are the base essentials your likely to need...

Also don't be afraid to buy accessories online, there are bargins to be had and loads of money to be saved and usually more choice.

Welcome to the world of fast hard miles.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ellie82
    Wow thanks, you're a useful person to know :D

I really like that Bianchi 8) There is something about white bikes that i love :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    Don't mention it.

Just let us know what you decide to buy in the end.

Also (I'm reluctant to ask where in Kent you live) dig out a local bike shop. It's good to have a friendly relationship with them.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ellie82
    Live in Rochester. I'll do a search on good old yell.com and go and visit some this weekend
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Don't mention it.

Just let us know what you decide to buy in the end.

Also (I'm reluctant to ask where in Kent you live) dig out a local bike shop. It's good to have a friendly relationship with them.

Doesn't your court order forbid you from any more Internet grooming :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ellie82 wrote:
    Live in Rochester. I'll do a search on good old yell.com and go and visit some this weekend

These guys are supposed to be very good: http://www.geoffwiles.co.uk/bikes.html

Very jealous - there's some lovely cycling to be had in Kent.
  • Ellie82
    Ellie82 wrote:

These guys are supposed to be very good: http://www.geoffwiles.co.uk/bikes.html

Very jealous - there's some lovely cycling to be had in Kent.

oh yeah I know where that is, thanks :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    Though I'm a little dissapointed in the 2009 Bianchi Via Nirone range (compared to the visual beautiful symphony that was the 2008 model) the range looks so sexy too the point that.... hot damn... oh wow.
    Food Chain number = 4