Black section on the Whites Level at Glynncorrwg

Jimfrandisco
Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
edited March 2009 in Routes
At Afan at the weekend and never actually ridden the Black Section on the Whites Level - how 'black' is it, compared to the rest of the Whites Level and Skyline descents? Don't want to drop in on something out of my league at the start of a weekends riding!

cheers

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    It is quite tricky in places and you can't go round them, if you have any trouble on the other sections I would give it a miss
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Very big berms (which I took at slow speed) and a very steep rocky drop towards the end (which I walked / slipped down). Not the easiest and as Pete said no chicken runs.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    My riding buddy fell off of the steep bit and slid down about 20 meters to his death (brusied elbow)

there are videos on youtube of the section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtYqt3KZ ... re=related

Give it a try if its a quite day best way to find out
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    I am going there during Easter weekend, I have a question too...

Is the black section 'rollable'?
    As my Dad is coming with me, and is getting to grips with biking, would it be best if he waits around and gives it a miss?

And also, what would you say is the 'Hardest' part which you have to do... i.e. is there a compulsory 6 foot drop?

thankyou
    albo
  • stumpyjon
    Yes, from memory there were no compulsory jumps etc. (I'm pretty sure I would have remembered them as I like my wheels on the ground). That said it is pretty daunting. The black section is actually a loop and finishes a few yards from where it starts so your dad could wait while you go around.

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I rode it recently because I wanted a quick way back off Whites..... Doh. Apart from the steep rock section at 2.31min on the youtube clip I didn't think it was too bad.
    Paul
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I've just come back from Wales and did Whites Level on Saturday..... Is this the new bit that starts with the humpy bermy bits and goes into a very steep descent?

If so then i've just ridden my first black route :shock: 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • stumpyjon
    Followed by a fire road slog back up to the energy section (lots of table tops in the trees), then yes.