Beginners' Kit

Lunty
Lunty Posts: 20
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

Just got myself a bike and expect to be on it for about 3+ hours 3-4 days a week. I was wondering what clothing and accessories I should go for. Already have shoes and one short sleeve jersey. Should I get more than one pair of shorts? Bib or normal? Are cycling socks REALLY any different to normal ankle socks? Gloves? Trip computer? Long sleeve jersey or arm warmers for the one I have?
Any advice is very welcome...specific brands to choose/avoid, places to find it cheap, your stories/kit lists etc.

Total budget is £200 but I'd be happier spending less! Anyone care to suggest a "dream team" of kit for this price?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Bib shorts are better.
    Cycling socks are pretty much just expensive socks in my experience.
    You will need gloves or mitts.
    Computer is up to you, personally I can't ride without knowing the stats at the end.
    Arm warmers can be taken off during a ride, so maybe better. But it's nice to have more than one jersey.

The best thing you can do is get stuff that fits and that you can afford.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    A decent track/floor pump.
  • I've recently returned to cycling after a 20 year break, so I've had to start from scratch.

Ideally you'd want a couple of pairs of shorts (but bibs are more comfy), so you can wash them after each ride and have time to dry them.

DHB stuff from Wiggle seems decent enough for the money, I've got some of their bibshorts, tights, l/s jersey and a windproof jacket, all of which I'm happy with.

If you're out any length of time, you would need spare tubes, pump, tyre levers, mini toolkit and maybe a saddle pack to keep them in. I'd get that kind of stuff sorted before splashing out on a computer.

I get most of my stuff from Wiggle or Chainreaction, both of which have been good so far for me.
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Im a newbie and got a bike in Nov, and so far ive bought....

computer
    helmet
    gloves and mitts
    jersey
    2 x lycra shorts
    high vis top
    track pump
    spare inner tubes
    saddle bag with tools
    shoes + cleats
    pedals
    lights
    front light holder
    new lightweight smaller bars
    shorter stem
    bar tap and gel pads
    chain lube
    tights/longs

And i think i now have everything i need apart from shades... no idea of cost, dont care really as they all help in one way or another.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • For summer riding, i don't think you really need too much stuff. But this winter was the first i've ridden through, and i've bought a new item almost every week!

I think i can get by with stuff from other sports, but in the end buy the cycling kit.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • anweledig
    anweledig Posts: 21
    You might think about waiting for the aldi/lidl bike weeks. Then you can try out a range of kit and see what works for you at low prices. The clothing is reasonable quality for the price and you can get basic tools and other kit cheaply.
    exercise.png
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    200 quid is a pretty good budget. However you must realise sooner rather than later that you'll always wonder what the better stuff would be like.

I bought fairly cheap stuff(mostlyDHB) and i wont rate the stuff. S

Seams have split meaning i've had to sew my tights and shorts up also the bib tights restrict movement in the knees so when going up hill i noticed a fair difference between the bib tights and thE bib shorts. Now i wonder what the Assos stuff is like as they come with great reccomendations so i'm just guna save up.

At the end of the day you pays your money you makes your choice but you get what you pay for. Just enjoy the cycling :wink::D
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    If you're out any length of time, you would need spare tubes, pump, tyre levers, mini toolkit and maybe a saddle pack to keep them in. I'd get that kind of stuff sorted before splashing out on a computer.

I get most of my stuff from Wiggle or Chainreaction, both of which have been good so far for me.

Totally agree. The first thing I would get would be spare tubes, pump and a multi-tool. If you puncture a few miles from home you're gonna need them. It's nice to get all the proper clothing but you can still ride without them. If you puncture you've gotta be able to fix it. Make sure you practice changing tubes at home a few times (including taking off and re-fitting the back wheel). You really don't want to do it for the first time when you're out on the road.

Personally, I've used Wiggle a lot and found their DHB stuff to be good value. No quality problems in any of the stuff I've bought. Wiggle's prices have crept up steadily though so you'd probably be best advised to trawl through some of the threads on here and pick up the names of other recommended stores.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    deleted
  • Lunty
    This is all great, thanks a lot everyone!
  • Shezzer wrote:
    Make sure you practice changing tubes at home a few times (including taking off and re-fitting the back wheel). You really don't want to do it for the first time when you're out on the road.

Its a shitty process,but will put you in good stead on the road when it happens
  • Lunty
    Hi guys,

One more favour to ask and I promise I'll leave you alone!
    The bike I bought 2nd hand came with Look pedals but not cleats as the guy selling it wanted to keep them for his new bike. He doesn't know what kind they are and I don't want to assume they're delta or keo or something else and waste £15 on a pair of cleats if I'm wrong.

Couple of photos here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3557/339 ... 6452_o.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/339 ... f7da_o.jpg

Could somebody let me know what cleats I'd need for them?

Also, any advice on which float option to go for? I've read it's a pretty personal choice but I have zero experience and would be grateful for anything you have to offer. If it helps, I have pretty flexible joints!

Thanks again!
  • geohorn
    geohorn Posts: 11
    I wear Assos bibs and wish I had bought them when I started out 5 years ago, the quality and fit are undeniably the best out but you pay for it. saying that, I have a drawer full of non Assos that I dont wear including short sleeve jerseys.
    A good quality helmet is essential (IMHO) and arm warmers, knee and leg warmers, check out Prendas Cyclismo for Santini warmers, great quality and price and excellant service.
    Hope you enjoy riding and enjoy spending your hard earned cash wisely! :wink:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Lunty wrote:
    Hi guys,

One more favour to ask and I promise I'll leave you alone!
    The bike I bought 2nd hand came with Look pedals but not cleats as the guy selling it wanted to keep them for his new bike. He doesn't know what kind they are and I don't want to assume they're delta or keo or something else and waste £15 on a pair of cleats if I'm wrong.

Couple of photos here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3557/339 ... 6452_o.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/339 ... f7da_o.jpg

Could somebody let me know what cleats I'd need for them?

Also, any advice on which float option to go for? I've read it's a pretty personal choice but I have zero experience and would be grateful for anything you have to offer. If it helps, I have pretty flexible joints!

Thanks again!

you need delta cleats for those pedals- red ones have the float
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Don't worry about cycling specific socks in the Summer. However, depending whether you intend to ride through the Winter, you may need some cycling socks to help you keep your feet warm when the temperature drops.

I suffer with cold feet (which can make a ride miserable), but the Woolie Boolie socks by DeFeet have really helped with this.