Is the turbo trainer tougher

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Is it tougher to do 10k on the turbo trainer or on the road.

Comments

• Is it tougher to do 10k on the turbo trainer or on the road.
    Paulie Ill pick u 10 k on roads around Galway that the Trainer will never match :lol:
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    Is it tougher to do 10k on the turbo trainer or on the road.
    Paulie Ill pick u 10 k on roads around Galway that the Trainer will never match :lol:
    I am in Athenry. With the new road being built, I couldnt get 10k in on a mountain bike. Am driving to dublin road and going from there. Just after discovering the smooth tarmac of our national roads. What a difference. Just the time it takes to load up the bike and get back through the s1ithole that is athenry is a pain in the ar5e.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Depends on the resistance of the turbo, the direction of the wind, terrain, etc.,on the road. I find the turbo more full-on, i.e. there are no junctions or lights to slow you down and give you a breather. I don't think in distance terms on the turbo, but in time and effort. So 20 minutes at 85% or your MHR is probably equivalent to an all out 10K on the road?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Make sure you have your cooling sorted or you will never get near your max effort and hr is a bad proxy for that on a turbo as it will rise rapidly if you become overheated therefore you think you are doing a good effort when in fact you are not.

Industrial fan a must.

It can be hard for some to get a good effort out of a turbo and that can be for a number reasons:

1) poor cooling (see above)
    2) inconsistent bike & trainer setup (consistent tyre pressure & resistance - roll down test)
    3) lack of motivation

1 and 2 are easy to sort. 3 however is something some people can struggle with an you will only find yourself from trying different things such as training videos, listening to music, watching actual pro cycling events on dvd such as the pros killing themselves up the hors categorie climbs on the TdF - etc. Try them all see which motivates you the most.