The Climb You Haven't Beaten Yet

Elganesh
Elganesh Posts: 143
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
I've finally done it. After the 4th attempt up Penbarras/Old Bwlch/Moel Famau (whatever you want to call it) from the Ruthin side I reached the top without getting off, stopping or putting a foot down once! I even felt reasonably fresh at the top.

This led me to thinking, what climbs have you lot attempted but not succeeded at yet?

I've still got Bwlch-y-Groes on my list to do which should turn my legs to jelly by all accounts.
FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)

Comments

• pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    I conquered Worlds End a couple of weeks ago after it got the better of me in last years Dave Lloyd Mega Nightmare....sun was shining, birds were singing, quiet roads, some cracking scenery and the legs felt GOOD....one of the best days on the bike I've ver had. :D

Congrats on beating Penbarras. The Cat should hold no fear for you now eh!!
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've not had to get off and push yet. :mrgreen:

...although, before I go out, I always do my research and find out the elevation profiles of any new routes so I know what to expect and can control conserving my energy.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Still not made it up Park Rash for some reason* - 3 tries,3 fails

(* cos I am a wussy pansy presumably)
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    vermooten wrote:

I was in Grassington last summer for a couple of weeks and it's the one climb I didn't try. I climbed Fleet Moss from the Hawes side (the steep side!) and did the Malham Tarn climb several times plus anything else with double chevrons I could find.

Good fun - in the usual masochistic cyclist sort of way :wink:

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    totally blew up last year on Wrynose from the East. It was early season on a compact but, even so, what a bu88er of a climb. Had to turn back.

I may go back with the triple to salvage my honour.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    vermooten wrote:

(* cos I am a wussy pansy presumably)
    No, it's because you were overgeared!

I got up it first time on a 200 km ride from Hebden Bridge that I planned specifically to tackle it. Anybody who knows me will tell you that I'm no climber but I had a 30/26 bottom gear for it. What gear were you using?
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    There are about a dozen streets here in the North of Tenerife that I haven't even attempted once!

They all have average gradients ~25% and are around 500m long give or take a bit.
    Monroy Street descends from 638 to 430 metres in a length of only 740 metres. Therefore, the average gradient over the entire street is 28.1%
  • Animal100
    Animal100 Posts: 55
    My local hill I want to conquer is a 350 feet climb over a mile with no letup. To be conquered this weekend, providing I get the time.

Big one planned for Scotland in July, ok so it'll be on an MTB but its an 1100 feet climb over 3 miles with no letup. Really looking forward to going down the other side as well
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I don't think failing on Park Rash is anything to be ashamed of really; it is comically steep. The only hill I've failed on so far is Fleet Moss from Hawes, but in my defence that was on my first ever ride on my road bike, and I had done a fair few miles already! Since then I've done it loads of times no bother, along with everything else in the Dales and Lakes. Top of the 'to do' list is Rosedale Chimney, which will (hopefully) be conquered on 13 April on John C's Bikeradar-advertised North York Moors jaunt.
  • Mytholm steeps, in the snow
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Monks Rd, Broadbottom for me. 1 attempt, 1 failiure. about 1000 metres @ 20% it got the better of me. It won't next time, cos Tony is gonna kick its ass!!!
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    pugwashcp wrote:
    Congrats on beating Penbarras. The Cat should hold no fear for you now eh!!

That's what I'm hoping! I haven't done World's End yet either so I may give it a whirl in a couple of weeks. I looking forward to Mow Cop now in a masochistic kind of way.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • ColinJ
    Mytholm steeps, in the snow
    I wouldn't even have attempted that! :wink:
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Hardknott pass. I'll be attempting it again on 12th April during the Lakeland Loop and hope to defeat my nemesis then
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Monks Rd, Broadbottom for me. 1 attempt, 1 failiure. about 1000 metres @ 20% it got the better of me. It won't next time, cos Tony is gonna kick its ass!!!

went up there a couple of weeks ago. It's only the bottom thats steep, most of it is between 10 and 15% or so. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ColinJ wrote:
    I had to. There was beer and curry waiting at Blackshaw Head :)
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ wrote:
    I had to. There was beer and curry waiting at Blackshaw Head :)
    Sounds good, but you could have opted to do it the 'easy way' via Heptonstall or the 'even easier way' via Lee Wood below Heptonstall.

The Heptonstall climb is a good one because it's steep enough to feel hard but it's not stupidly steep. Also, to make things more interesting - the top of the climb through the village is cobbled. It averages about 1-in-8, (sorry - 12.5% :wink: ) for the 1.1 km from the traffic lights at the bottom up to the village.

PS Don't tell me that you did the Mytholm Steeps in the snow on a singlespeed bike! :shock:
  • PS Don't tell me that you did the Mytholm Steeps in the snow on a singlespeed bike! Shocked
    no, a 2-speed. moving, and stationary ;)
    seriously - geared. compact. Failed miserably. it's bad enough in the dry :)

The others are fine but I wanted the shortest way 'home' after a real beastie of a ride. tbh if you're in Mooch without the energy to even stand up and walk out the door, it's probably not wise to attempt any of the climbs up to BSH!