Gilets: worthwhile investment?

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
In two minds as to whether to buy a gilet. Bear in mind that I need little encouragement to buy new bike gear usually! I'm just not sure when I would use one though.

At the moment I'm wearing SS jersey over base layer and arm warmers with a montane featherlite on top in the morning and then same minus the jacket for home.

I wonder whther the jacket might be too warm for showers in the summer and be better off with a gilet for then??

Would love to hear from Gilet lovers and haters alike! And any recommendations.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Versatile pieces of kit. I'm wearing the same as you bar the jacket. Wish I'd been wearing my gilet this morning for the first couple of miles. Once I'd hit the heat island of inner london I was fine and could have easily stowed it in my jersey pocket. For the commute I've got a cheapy dhb one which is fine and doubles as my rainproof kit. Got a mavic one with a mesh back for weekend riding
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've got the best of both worlds, a LS windproof top with zip off arms. If I wear it over a base layer or ss top I can just whip off the arms and stow them in the pockets, it works a treat. I frequently use it as just a gillet and find it invaluable, especially on those slightly chilly mornings that look like they'll warm up towards the end of the ride.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Yep, they're a good idea. As JG says, they're versatile and fit easily into a back pocket. I got a yellow PI one which is ideal for commuting. I use them all the time.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1 for versatility. I have a Gore jacket with de-tachable arms. Perfect for fending off that chill if you just want something a bit more substantial over your base-layer than a cycling jersey, or want to wear arm warmers instead of a baselayer.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Gilet + armwarmers = a godsend on last year's etape. I thought I'd only be wearing them for waiting around at the start but they ended up staying on till the foot of the Hautacam. They allow a bit more flexibility then a jacket, easy to whip on and off and really handy for when the sun goes in / you hit a long descent etc. in changeable weather.
  • sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    A good bargain on a gillet here:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027588/Sugoi-Zap-Vest.html

I was going to get one but none left in large :(
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Yes.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Gilet and armwarmers are a good combination for this time of year when you might have a cool start in the morning but a warm mid-morning, particularly in the sun.

Ditto other such combinations.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Gillet is great for keeping the chill off your chest, particularly if you are a wuss like me and get sick easily.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Gillet - the best a man can get :wink:

Actually, they don't work for me, if I feel cold my arms feel cold too. But they seem very popular so they obviously suit people.

Gore Bike Wear make a jacket with zip off sleeves, maybe a best of both worlds scenario.

Windstopper soft shell
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Yep. Wear them all the time. The most verastile piece of kit. Cool summer mornings / evenings, or over the top of the Assos Airblock at zero degrees. I always have a gilet on me whatever the season
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Gilet is great in lots of ways

Get one just to try it out. They are pretty cheap. Get some arm warmers at the same time
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    MTFU, gilet? men wearing cardigans? what is the world coming to!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yes, they look cool and hide the moobs. A must have.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes yes and Yes again.

I have a cheapy Hi Viz JJB one.
    I have a Pricey Rapha one.
    I have a cheapy black Aldi one.
    I have a thermal yellow one too.

Great pieces of kit. Go and buy one now !
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Thanks for all the replies! I have bowed to pressure and bought one!

Ideally I would buy the rapha one as a self confessed rapha addict.

Have bought this one:

http://www.nzoactive.co.nz/products/NXTXR1711

They make the baselayers I wear which incidentally are amazing (+good value). Better than the rapha ones I also have.

:D
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    BUT wearing a gilet makes you look like a puff, or a GURL.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wear my Assos one on 90% of rides - I wouldn't be without it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    tardie wrote:
    BUT wearing a gilet makes you look like a puff, or a GURL.

Let's have a photo of you showing us how to dress