Formula oro K18 bleed screw O-ring

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bled my K18 front brake using the instructions off the Formula website.

I read the instructions very carefully and it says in bold letters WARNING take care with o-ring seal when removing caliper bleed screw. I took heed of this and very carefully undid the screw over a bowl to catch the o-ring as it made a dash for freedom.

NO O-RING I had a good look and nothing and I looked very carefully, there was one on the master cylinder bleed screw but nothing on the caliper screw.

Any body know where my o-ring is, is one fitted to the caliper or is it under the fridge at the Formula factory.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Sorry I can't help but I've just had a look at the instructions. The only thing I can think is that the O ring relates to one of the other models.

What a Palaver!! Two syringes!!

I'm beginning to think manufactures go out of their way to make this as difficult process as they possibly can.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there should be one in both ends.

either it was missed. the brakes have already been bled and the ring lost.

Or you missed it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    nicklouse wrote:
    there should be one in both ends.

either it was missed. the brakes have already been bled and the ring lost.

Or you missed it.

Definitely didnt miss the o-ring. As I said it was removed over a bowl with the caliper off the bike clamped horizontally in a jig which I made up. I will have a look at the rear caliper bleed screw to see if that has one.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Curioser and curioser the back caliper bleed screw doesnt have an o-ring either. Have Formula changed the design or have I got a pair of friday afternoon specials built up after Luigi had sunk a bottle of Chianti with his lunchtime pizza
  • petercarm
    petercarm Posts: 68
    The caliper o-ring is tiny and it tends to stay in the hole when you remove the bleed plug. You need to fish it out from there with a pin.

I'll bet it is in there but you just haven't spotted it yet. With fluid covering it, it is very difficult to spot.
  • stubs
    petercarm wrote:
    The caliper o-ring is tiny and it tends to stay in the hole when you remove the bleed plug. You need to fish it out from there with a pin.

I'll bet it is in there but you just haven't spotted it yet. With fluid covering it, it is very difficult to spot.

That makes sense. With the caliper mounted horizontally the fluid doesnt drip out so there is nothing to float the o-ring out. Its just the instructions have the warning in such large bold letters I half expected the o-ring to come flying out as if it was spring loaded.
  • Anyone know the size of the calliper bleed screw 'O' ring?
  • Today was my first bleeding. Had the same problem as original thread started. When I was pushing down on the syringe from master cylinder's side, the oil leaked from the caliper's port screw. Then I opened it up and found this o-ring stuck inside. Yes, it should be there and it likes to hide :)
    Simon514 wrote:
    Anyone know the size of the calliper bleed screw 'O' ring?
    Here's the photo of dimensions for you, if they help:
    oro-k18-o-ring.jpg