C2C on fixed?

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited March 2009 in Road general
I'm doing a one-day C2C (whitehaven - Tynemouth) at the weekend with a ride from Oxenholme to Whitehaven on Friday over Wrynose/Hardknott. Mate that I'm doing it with will find it very challenging, but I'm riding 200km in the Peak District fairly often now on a geared bike so it'll be easy enough for me (have done C2C a couple of times before in 1 day). So I'm thinking about doing it on fixed.

Now I've been commuting to work (22 mile hilly round trip) on fixed since December last year, but haven't done any long rides. I know I'll end up walking up the odd hill (Wrynose, Hardknott, hills out of Garigill, Nenthead and Rookhope maybe), but (bearing in mind I've never done a long ride on fixed) am I likely to find this a bit hard or stupidly hard? I usually ride a 70" gear, but my nice new Tricross single currently has a 66" gear.

Anyone done the C2C on fixed?
More problems but still living....

Comments

• MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    Fixed Phil has done quite a bit of touring and audaxing on fixed - you might get some idea of what's what on his site. I think he used 68" virtually all the time.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    edited March 2009
    interesting
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll probably be walking up Hardknot and make sure your brakes are well adjusted and in good condition for the descent because the road surface is rippled down the back of Hardknot.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Did the sensible thing and took geared bike. Much more enjoyable being able to cycle up all the hills. I would have been walking up Wrynose east, Hardknott and Honister on fixed....
    More problems but still living....