Carrera Subway 2 and mud gaurds

slarti42uk
slarti42uk Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in The workshop
Hi,

I'm new here as you will see. I'm after some quick advice regarding my NEW bike and buying the right mudgaurds. I've searched though and found conflicting information about what will fit on this bike (as it has disc brakes) and what won't.

The guy at Halfords said that only the seatpost mounted rear ones and the front one that goes on the frame will fit. I'm not too keen on that type as the last time I had them on a mountin bike years ago I got sprayed in the face whenever I turn.

I would like to go for these in black but I'm not sure if they can be safely fitted to this bike. Also on the size of them: my tyres say 26x1.6 would I be ok with the 55mm which say up to 1.5" or best to go for the larger 65mm ones??

Or would I be best taking it to a local cycle shop and having them recommend and fit something? (I'm in Norwich)

I've not had a bike for years but I'm determined to try and get some exercise! If any one can help I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Hi Steve

I also have a Sub 2. I just bought a set of generic black plastic gards that use an L bracket to attach to the frame (just above the wheel ) and front forks (where the reflecter is held on). The rear guard also has a clip that fixes to the main upright on the frame.

Easy to fit. I will try to find a link when I get a sec.

Mark
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does the subway 2 have threaded eyelets near the axles for bolt-on mudguards like the SKS chromoplastic ones:
    Will any disk brakes get in the way of the mudguard stays?

You can bend ther stays around the brakes to fit, or you can make a small metal bracket to move the hole somewhere more convenient.

Full length, bolt-on mudguards are much better than clip-on ones. I managed to fit the KSKS ones to my Dahon Cadenza 8 which has disk brakes.
  • Thanks for the replies, I've added some photos to show the possible fixing options. I really would like to go for these if they'll fit.

Wkps5jTh22mZQOB_pG5pAg?feat=directlink
    5P15O_JY6m9JqM60jk5FjA?feat=directlink
    M4cv2rC3WATGNhgUzjMqEw?feat=directlink
    Yw8ZJrKpBvplBJSUsUsj9A?feat=directlink
    7wGKMQBa62OVjPPtOCZTKA?feat=directlink
    Y2XQO84FrHwpl_27eFh7Bg?feat=directlink

Front wheel:
    In a. you the eyelets are fine.
    In b. and c. you see the problem side. The eyelet in c. is the one with the problem. Could I mount at point 1 in pic b? It's where the brake block is mounted. Or can I use the screw in pic d?

Rear wheel:
    Again the one shown in e. is fine but f. shows the problem side. So again is fixing to point 1 ok? Oh and I've just noticed that there are screws on the inside of the rear frame as seen in pic e. through the spokes.

Thanks again.
    Steve

[edit] oops the pics haven't worked as planned![/edit]