Lake District Mentalism - May Time??

dave_hill
dave_hill Posts: 3,877
edited April 2009 in MTB rides
Looking at doing my infamous Four Passes route in the Lakes some time in May - anybody up for it??

It will be a pain fest and no mistake, but the rewards will be worth it...

The route is...

Start at Seatoller in Borrowdale

Up Honister Pass (pass number 1) and over Fleetwith Common, down to Warnscale Bottom.

Over Scarth Gap pass (number 2) to Ennerdale, then up to Black Sail Hut.

Black Sail Pass (number 3) into Wasdale, before climbing up over Sty Head Pass (number 4) and dropping back down into Borrowdale.

15 miles in total and just over 5000 feet of climbing. Anyone interested??? PDF route map available upon request!
Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
Help for Heroes
JayPic

Comments

• Damn you dave!! :lol: I need this sort of riding to improve some fitness, but I wont be around in may!
  • just g
    just g Posts: 9
    would be interested in that and townley loop you posted should be able to bring bodies along g
  • dave_hill
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Damn you dave!! :lol: I need this sort of riding to improve some fitness, but I wont be around in may!

You need to improve your fitness BEFORE you do this sort of ride...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I'll probably regret this but...................................................that doesn't sound too bad! Sure , there's a lot of height to climb, but it's only 15miles
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'll probably regret this but...................................................that doesn't sound too bad! Sure , there's a lot of height to climb, but it's only 15miles

Tee Hee - yep ist's easy (snigger).:lol:

Dave- Sounds good but I fear that I'm a bit too fat & lazy. I'll be with you in spirit!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dave_hill
    passout wrote:
    Tee Hee - yep it's easy (snigger).:lol:

Now there speaks a man who knows the terrain...!!

Don't be fooled by the distance - you're probably looking at average speeds of 2.5mph or even less - so expect a 6 hour plus day!!

Plus a lot of it will reduce you to walking and there will also be a fair share of carrying involved. This is real mountain biking with real mountains involved. A ride for real men (even the female ones). Flat pedals all the way, none of your SPD gayness here!!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Oi, I was going to try and join you, but SPDs it is for me, so I guess I won't be welcome!
  • That's a good route - for a walk. Even with bikes most of it will be walked. I suspect that a regular walker could probably walk it quicker than you'll get round with bikes. The only really rideable bits are the valley bottom in Wasdale, and the stretch after Styhead to the top of Taylor Gill Force.

By the way - count me out!

As for MFC - SPDs could be dangerous on that. Flatties and hiking boots are needed.
    Frank Yates
  • dave_hill
    That's a good route - for a walk. Even with bikes most of it will be walked. I suspect that a regular walker could probably walk it quicker than you'll get round with bikes. The only really rideable bits are the valley bottom in Wasdale, and the stretch after Styhead to the top of Taylor Gill Force.

As for MFC - SPDs could be dangerous on that. Flatties and hiking boots are needed.

I've walked most of it aside from the descent off Black Sail to Wasdale. I've also ridden most of the way from the top of Scarth Gap to Ennerdale (it has its moments though!! :D ) and I know that the drop from Fleetwith down to Warnscale is doable too, so aside from the ascent of Scarth Gap and the run up Black Sail, it shouldn't be too horrendous.

MFC - you're always welcome but as TT says, SPDs would be dangerous and you'll not be able to walk properly either. Anyone who's serious about doing it will do it with flatties and suitable shoes/boots.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    That's a good route - for a walk. Even with bikes most of it will be walked. I suspect that a regular walker could probably walk it quicker than you'll get round with bikes. The only really rideable bits are the valley bottom in Wasdale, and the stretch after Styhead to the top of Taylor Gill Force.

I've walked most of it aside from the descent off Black Sail to Wasdale. I've also ridden most of the way from the top of Scarth Gap to Ennerdale (it has its moments though!! :D ) and I know that the drop from Fleetwith down to Warnscale is doable too, so aside from the ascent of Scarth Gap and the run up Black Sail, it shouldn't be too horrendous.

MFC - you're always welcome but as TT says, SPDs would be dangerous and you'll not be able to walk properly either. Anyone who's serious about doing it will do it with flatties and suitable shoes/boots.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I and a couple of my work mates may be up for this, will give us something to train for at least, I'll PM you my email address so you can email me the route map so I can pester my mates with it!
  • I like a challenge, SPD pedals and flip flops I think!
  • dave_hill
    I like a challenge, SPD pedals and flip flops I think!

I was thing toe-clips and straps with stilletos... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • timberjack
    timberjack Posts: 279
    Why not jusy go for a proper ride ?
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • XcOllie
    XcOllie Posts: 9
    hmm i live in carlisle so could probably be up for it. ill pm you my email adress so i can have a gander over the route?
    cheers
  • dave_hill
    timberjack wrote:
    Why not jusy go for a proper ride ?

You mean one with no hills? I don't do easy - easy is for losers... 8)
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Count me in as a possible, although it's reminding of that pleasant walk we did over the Walna Scar road last year :lol:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • OwenB
    Looking at the route you sent it looks like it'll be a total grueller!
    One of the guys at work who's a keen walker has been telling me how hard it'll be with a bike, I've told him that at least I'll have something to lean on!
  • timberjack
    sorry dave, i will go back to riding my bike and not walking withit on my shoulder, i prefer it that way.
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • timberjack
    Ps me and 4 of my loser mates did dalbeattie and mabie yesterday, never carried the bike once, a fantastic day was had by all
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • dave_hill
    timberjack wrote:
    sorry dave, i will go back to riding my bike and not walking withit on my shoulder, i prefer it that way.

Ps me and 4 of my loser mates did dalbeattie and mabie yesterday, never carried the bike once, a fantastic day was had by all

Well done. Give that man a prize.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • timberjack
    glad your impressed
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • dave_hill
    Yes. I am. Almost beside myself with indifference. I'd be apathetic too but well, y'know... :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • yeh im up for it, just recently done a 60 miler
    please email me more info : markiemc13@hotmail.co.uk

im 16 btw

Mark
    Singletrack Heaven :)
  • dave_hill
    markiemc13 wrote:
    yeh im up for it, just recently done a 60 miler
    please email me more info : markiemc13@hotmail.co.uk

im 16 btw

Mark

Mark

I've been reading your other posts.

Whilst I don't doubt your enthusiasm, are you sure you're up to doing this ride?

For a start, in one post you state that you are "completely new" to this game and by your own admission your bike was a bad choice.

Also the fact that you've asked for a list of what you should be taking on a ride like this has the alarm bells ringing. If you don't know, it's kind of worrying.

Could you give me some idea of what riding experience you have. Perhaps you could talk me through this 60-mile run that you've done recently?

Cheers.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Against all my better judgements I'm somewhat tempted by this. I know I'll suffer, and I'll really regret it, but I'll regret it if I miss it. When is it planned for?

The thought of visiting friends in Wasdale Head again is a big draw; but God/Allah alone knows how we're going to get the bikes up to Styhead.

P.S. You don't need to worry about what I'm going to take. I'll have one of those little green pills that we'll all wish for just near the top of Black Sail. No more suffering!
    Frank Yates
  • dave_hill
    Sorry folks, going to have to call this one off, unfrotunately I can't commit to any non-local runs in May. Maybe later in the year... :cry:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • OwenB
    Ah well at least now I don't have to make myself look like the chicken I was expecting to by crying off nearer the day. Just think that this ride would be a bit beyond my fitness levels at the moment.

May be later in the summer if I can keep up my current training regime
  • dave_hill wrote:
    Sorry folks, going to have to call this one off, unfrotunately I can't commit to any non-local runs in May. Maybe later in the year... :cry:

OOO hopefully i'll be back from uni then :)

Should be fit enough (hopefully :lol:)