Mary Towneley Loop, June 2009

2»

Comments

• trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    8 hours for the loop, 11 hours including to and from where we started - that was with our pub stop! I've just commented on your other thread!

I'm hoping to singlespeed transwales so it was perfect training. Had a few more pushes after seeing you.

How are the legs today?
  • legs are fine as living round here there is nothing but climbing, left shoulder is quite painful. going for spin later to get the nasties out. i didn't stop for a pub lunch, i think with hindsight that was a big mistake. i had a few sandwiches, apples and some redbull but after looking at your blog i was woefully short on calories, no wonder i blew. though for someone who has only been back cycling since jan after a couple years off for surgery n recovery i'm chuffed to even have got round at all. anti clockwise seems to have a lot more pushing. i am more and more attracted to the idea of ss, i like the idea of simplicity. what gear ratio did you have yesterday?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I recorded the route on GPS last year and put it into tracklogs. Vame out at 44.7 miles (which doesn't take into account the vertial distance, so probably add anothe rmile or two) and 6700ft of ascent.

An ex colleague of mine did the route last year in 4hrs 50 mins, came 8th overall. The guy that came in first last year did it in 4hrs 20mins, the mud add 15 mins onto his time from the previous year.

I'll be aiming for sub 7.5 hrs this year. Calories are a must given the distance. I got through 3 litres of energy drink in the first 20 miles and then a couple of gels and bars plus fruit etc. later. Still nearly bonked 3/4 of the way around.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Dave - how many expressions of interest?

I'll jump in and say yes. Saturday 20th June is good.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Dave - how many expressions of interest?

So far - none except yours. I get a lot of feedback from people telling me that they can't make it though for some reason... :roll:

To be honest I was going to knock it on the head due the overwhelming indifference which it seems to have generated.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dickydulux
    dickydulux Posts: 111
    Hi Dave, I'd be struggling to be up there for an 08:00 start. However I hope to be in the area on the first weekend in August for a weekend stayover. If you ok to meet up let me know.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill wrote:
    I get a lot of feedback from people telling me that they can't make it though for some reason... Rolling Eyes
    dickydulux wrote:
    Hi Dave, I'd be struggling to be up there for an 08:00 start. However I hope to be in the area on the first weekend in August for a weekend stayover. If you ok to meet up let me know.

See??? :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    dave_hill wrote:
    To be honest I was going to knock it on the head due the overwhelming indifference which it seems to have generated.

OK, never mind then. Let me know if you are planning another one sometime.
  • dave_hill
    Right will do. Forget it folks, ride's off. I'll do it on my own, probably better off...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic