Trek 8500 09

Speckled Pants
Speckled Pants Posts: 118
edited March 2009 in Your mountain bikes
n503045086_2214804_3291129.jpg

n503045086_2214805_7256056.jpg

n503045086_2257024_7066938.jpg

Only been out on it twice but im very happy with it so far :)

Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum

Front Suspension: Fox F100 RL

Wheels: Bontrager Race Lite Disc

Tires: Bontrager Jones XR

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT, 9 speed

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT "Shadow"

Crank: Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22

Cassette: SRAM PG970 11-32, 9 speed

Pedals: Shimano XTR

Saddle: Bontrager Race Lite

Seat Post: Bontrager Race X Lite ACC, carbon

Handlebars: Race Face Next 3/4 rise, carbon

Stem: Bontrager Race X Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm

Headset: Cane Creek S-3

Brakeset: Shimano Deore XT Ti, hydraulic 180mm front rotor, 160mm rear rotor

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Very nice chap. Love the look of Treks 8)
  • Lovely bike, I am seriously considering this as my next bike, my last decent bike was the Trek 8500 LT in 1999! :shock:

Is all the spec that you have listed and pictured standard or have you upgraded anything on it?

Also what GPS unit is that?

Thanks for sharing :D
  • Cheers guys! :)

Chicken - my last bike was a trek 8000 2001 which i loved to bits, but this is in a different league. I was doubtfull if i'd notice much difference between the bikes but after about 30 seconds on it i knew i'd done the right thing. Its much lighter than the old 8000 (and that had v-brakes) and feels so much better. The suspension is a big improvement too, usualy after a tough downhill my arms are aching but i didnt get any of that with this. All in all its a cracking bike and im very pleased i bought it.

Everythings standard apart from the handlebar, it came with a bontrager race lite alloy one but i wanted a carbon, and it didnt come with pedals so i got some xtr spd's.

The gps is a satmap http://www.satmap.com/ cracking bit of kit and very easy to use. Its a bit pricey once you've bought the maps, bike mount and power pack but the ability to view a proper os map infront of you like that and track where you are is well worth it imo. I only used it for the first time last weekend following two routes i'd downloaded off the net and it worked a treat :)

If you end up getting the bike you wont regret it, but apparently theres a shortage atm and i had trouble getting mine.
  • Cheers guys! :)

Chicken - my last bike was a trek 8000 2001 which i loved to bits, but this is in a different league. I was doubtfull if i'd notice much difference between the bikes but after about 30 seconds on it i knew i'd done the right thing. Its much lighter than the old 8000 (and that had v-brakes) and feels so much better. The suspension is a big improvement too, usualy after a tough downhill my arms are aching but i didnt get any of that with this. All in all its a cracking bike and im very pleased i bought it.

Everythings standard apart from the handlebar, it came with a bontrager race lite alloy one but i wanted a carbon, and it didnt come with pedals so i got some xtr spd's.

The gps is a satmap http://www.satmap.com/ cracking bit of kit and very easy to use. Its a bit pricey once you've bought the maps, bike mount and power pack but the ability to view a proper os map infront of you like that and track where you are is well worth it imo. I only used it for the first time last weekend following two routes i'd downloaded off the net and it worked a treat :)

If you end up getting the bike you wont regret it, but apparently theres a shortage atm and i had trouble getting mine.

Hey Speckled, or shall I just call you Mr Pants? :lol:

Thanks for the info, I thought the bars had been changed and maybe the headset but thought I'd ask. I really loved my Trek too, which is what made me look at another Trek this time around.

If its miles apart from your old 8000 then its bound to be a noticeable difference from my old 8500 too :)

Thanks for the link on the Satmap, looks the biz and just what I'm after but wowzer, what a price! More saving to come!

Thanks again mate :)