Carbon seat post stuck. How to remove it?

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited May 2009 in The workshop
The original saddle on my Scott S20 broke last year. I now have a decent saddle but it's added ¾" to the total height and I need to lower it. Problem is that the carbon post is jammed in the alloy frame. My LBS had a good try at extracting it when it was in recently for a few days but gave up. I'm happy to buy a new post in the expectation of destroying the old one in getting it out, but how best to do this without damaging the frame?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Try here (the Coke bit rang a bell):

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14958879

Hope it works.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    Try applying some penetrating oil and leaving for a few hours.

I know this doesnt help immediately but when you fit your new seat post make sure you grease it up and inside the frame first to avoid this problem and makes it easier to adjust.

Good luck.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    In addition to the above suggestions, lay the bike on it's side and pour some boiling water over the seatube. The rapid expansion may help break it loose.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Has this old thread resurfaced? Fixed it a good few weeks ago - tried various fluids & heat, ended up hacksawing carefully down the inside of the tube and working it out with molegrips. Turns out it wasn't a carbon seat post but an ally one with a carbon wrap, and the wrap had attached tself to the inside of the frame whilst still being attached to the seat post. The post eventually came out leaving a nice carbon cylinder behind, which came out seperately with much less effort.

It was a bugger to get out, took three of us in the end, two holding the frame and one on the moleys, along with liberal squirts of GT85 lube down the frame & up it via the bottle holder threads. If anyone's ever in this position, it might help to know that the seat clamp fits perfectly in the drain slots at the end of our driveway so gives infinite grip - you can't turn the road with an inverted bike frame. What you can do though is twist the seat clamp off the seat post. Unlucky, as I recall mumbling to myself through the sweat & tears.

:)