Waterproofs?

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
First off, I'm a noob here so, Hi all :D

Does anyone have any experience with Altura Attack 3/4 "waterproof" trousers?

I recently bought a pair for the ride to work based on the top reviews they have received. Used them for the first time in proper rain (and wind) this morning. It was only a 2 mile commute, took just over 7mins yet when I arrived at work they were wet through. No waterproof properties whatsoever.

Needless to say, they are going back at the very soonest opportunity, but question is, what do I go for next?

Is it likely that this was just a cr*p pair that someone forgot to make 'waterproof' or is this what I can expect if I just get a replacement pair?

If so, what alternatives are there that will actually work? (not a fan of overtrousers)

Cheers,

Matt

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    To my mind, you have 2 alternatives - you either get wet from the outside, or from the inside, i.e. you either forget about waterproofs and try to keep warm, but accept you will get wet, or wear waterproofs and accept that you are going to get hot and sweaty.

My only experience with Altura "waterproof" gear is a paif of waterproof gloves that really are in breach of the trades description act. Sorry I can't be more positive.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Matt,

Most people just resign themselves to getting wet legs and bums - anything that will keep rain out at 20 mph will have you brewing up inside in no time at all and weigh a ton.

Unless you are made out of Lithium you wont suffer too badly from an occasional soaking and your skin is entirey waterproof.

welcome by the way
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    To my mind, you have 2 alternatives - you either get wet from the outside, or from the inside, i.e. you either forget about waterproofs and try to keep warm, but accept you will get wet, or wear waterproofs and accept that you are going to get hot and sweaty.

My only experience with Altura "waterproof" gear is a paif of waterproof gloves that really are in breach of the trades description act. Sorry I can't be more positive.

+1 IME Altura stuff is total ar$e.

Are you able to shower and change at work? If so then the best bet is just to accept that you will get a bit wet on occasion. They key is do dress appropriately. So you have 2 options:

Ride harder, get wetter - buy breathable clothing, a windproof, water resistant jacket, perhaps some waterproof overshoes - wet shoes will not dry out in a working day. If you do this you may get a bit wet, but it doesn't matter if you can shower and change.

Ride slow, stay dry - full on waterproof stuff is not breathable, so if you can find some make sure you don't exert yourself on the ride in, if you do you'll get sweaty wet and still need a shower anyway.

Personally I'd go for the first option.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I wore waterproofs to and from work when I used to commute about 2 miles - during that very wet summer (not the one just gone but the one before) where it was very wet most of the time.

To be honest, it was incredibly cheap gear - a £5 pair of waterproof trousers off a market stall, and an incredibly basic sailing splash top (like this but MUCH cheaper). It would have been hot and sweaty inside had I been cycling any further/hillier.

Worked OK. Not breathable in the slightest, though.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I second Greg T's comments. If it's not too cold I always wear shorts, the less fabric there is to get wet the more comfortable the ride imho. You won't find anything more waterproof and breathable than what mother nature gave you :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    as others have said if you can change going for wind proof, but wet does work as your warm, though wet,

the 2nd way ie waterproofs etc only really works with short mild rides or you end up being boil in the bag...
  • Thanks for all the replies.
    the 2nd way ie waterproofs etc only really works with short mild rides or you end up being boil in the bag...

That is what I was going for. Ride in this morning was only 2 miles, almost all downhill. Certainly not a leg burner.

We do have showers, lockers etc at work and I'm not at all bothered about arriving soaked through. It was just that I was surprised that they got as wet as they did (considering the ride in does not even raise a sweat). There was honestly no difference between wearing these "waterproofs" and if I had been wearing any of the other shorts I usually wear.

It was more a question of is this kind of saturation normal with waterproofs when hardly exerting yourself at all?

To put it another way. If you went and stood outside in a pair of waterproof shorts for 10 mins in rain and a stiff wind, would you expect to be soaking when you went back inside? I was not.

Problem is, I am not used to wearing waterproofs. I am mostly up a mountain somewhere, very wet and very muddy.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use waterproofs (jackets, not trousers though). I have had many jackets that get wet through on the lower forearms and the shoulders - areas where the speed of your cycling makes the rain hit really hard. All my jackets have done this eventually, however the new Altura Attack Extreme jacket that I got for xmas did this on the first wet ride (somewhat contradicting the "extreme" tag)! Others I have had: Altura Reflex, lasted 6 months, various Gore Pac Lite lasted 1 - 2 years. I have now gone back to Gore because they do have a lifetime guarantee that they really do stand by (indeed the various jackets I have had over the last 10 years have been replacements following previous refunds!).

The Altura jacket was the nicest design, but was the poorest performer - shame! This has now been replaced with a Gore Alp X. If they say they are waterproof, they should indeed be waterproof (and I know the difference between sweat and a leak!).
  • alfablue wrote:
    I use waterproofs (jackets, not trousers though). I have had many jackets that get wet through on the lower forearms and the shoulders - areas where the speed of your cycling makes the rain hit really hard.

Now you mention it, the more I think about it, the more I feel that perhaps I was expecting a bit much from these shorts. About half my ride is done at speeds approaching 40mph (on my nobbly full sus MTB :P ) and it is a BIG ask for something to be waterproof at those kind of speeds (excluding Motorbike specific gear of course).

Cheers again for all the responses. I now see the error of my ways. Time for some MTFU juice and a towel I think.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    To put it another way. If you went and stood outside in a pair of waterproof shorts for 10 mins in rain and a stiff wind, would you expect to be soaking when you went back inside? I was not.

Indeed not. If they are new, can you take them back? I think Altura have another definition of waterproof, possibly meaning "more expensive than other porous materials".

I'm sure they make some good stuff, but I haven't been able to find it yet.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Agree with the comments here. However my Endura bibtights do a brilliant job in the winter of keeping me dry and warm. I was totally fine on the HOTA ride. I never use my waterproof jacket, you just boil- in- the- bag. If it was a storm of biblical proportions, I might use it, but it was a mistake to get one - esp for London, where it's always sunny.
  • aye, as above. Cycling + waterproofs = mutually exclusive.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I wear these if it is really pouring down:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Endur ... 360020529/

And they are amazing, they will not let water in whatever speed you are doing. My commute is 11 miles with some hilly sections and I haven't been hot in them at all. Granted I've not worn them in summer which might be a big ask. If it's not cold I agree with others that best just to get wet legs.

eVENT is very impressive for breathability so would recommend if you want some. The really essential thing otherwise is overshoes, nothing worse than putting wet shoes back on at the end of the day!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    erm! :shock: £130 for waterproof trousers !?! you did what? :shock:

OP I have the same waterproof trousers Mrs itboffin bought them for me one xmas I used them got soaked as you mentioned, awesome design I'm thinking of sticking on an Castelli sticker and selling them to Jash :wink:

Ditto with the gloves, as soon as the rain starts they fill up like sponges which is especially nice when it freezing cold, as I'm sure some of the brave SCRers who survived a Wiltshire blizzard recently will agree.

Waterproof pah!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    itboffin wrote:
    erm! :shock: £130 for waterproof trousers !?! you did what? :shock:

Waterproof pah!

I think this is an example of getting what you pay for though. I ride over 100 miles a week commuting and I wouldn't be able to do it without good gear. It does seem a lot until you turn up for work after a winter downpour with toasty warm dry legs!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cat - welcome! :)

If I was travelling two miles/seven minutes to work, I'd keep work clothes at work or carry them in a waterproof backpack, trainers, cr@appy trousers tucked into my socks and an everyday waterproof jacket - wouldn't have to be cycling-specific. Alternatively, if you have a shower at work, I'd run.

If you're going to increase your mileage though, go for good gear. It's worth it. I don't have waterproof trousers, but wear bib shorts and thermal tights on the basis that even if I'm wet, I'm still warm.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • i have the ones down on event. the jacket is convertable to gilet which is handy. it is cheaper and so far has been excellent, but the trousers are very heavy but can be worn next to the skin with no rubbing or chaffing, endura is excellent kit
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Don't bother with waterproofs - assuming you're not wearing full cycling kit for your 2 mile commute just wear any old shorts and change when you get to work - you wont get hypothermia on that trip - just remember spare pants & socks if its really tippping down.

I have an allegedly breathable altura jacket - it gets pretty sweaty if its anything over 5 degrees out
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    cjcp wrote:
    Cat - welcome! :)

If I was travelling two miles/seven minutes to work, I'd keep work clothes at work or carry them in a waterproof backpack, trainers, cr@appy trousers tucked into my socks and an everyday waterproof jacket - wouldn't have to be cycling-specific. Alternatively, if you have a shower at work, I'd run.

If you're going to increase your mileage though, go for good gear. It's worth it. I don't have waterproof trousers, but wear bib shorts and thermal tights on the basis that even if I'm wet, I'm still warm.

Im the same good cycling kit does an amazing job of making "Soaked" still comfortable, and it drys out in time for going home. Even in real downpours. Im far more comfortable now wearing cycling gear in a down pour than when I started wearing full waterproofs. It also adds a "cool" factor cycling in down pours with a grin on your face, everyone who sees you thinking you are either an iron man or completely nuts when in fact your pretty comfortable and just enjoying the ride. :D

oddly enough actually cycling in down pours is great, but I never look forward to it. I see the hard rain and think "yuck" I get out there and its great :D
  • Cheers for all the replies.

I ride mainly off-road, only commute on the bike because I can take some shortcuts which means I get to work earlier than if I drove in. That and the fact it seems pointless to drive 2 miles.

To test out the theory about speed affecting how waterproof these shorts were, I went out for a ride over the mountains in the pi55ing rain last night after work. 20mile ride, Just under 3 hours at fairly slow speeds and when I got back they were barely even damp.

As such, I think I will leave them in the drawer for when I go out on the MTB, and just wear non-waterproof type for the ride to work. As mentioned in earlier posts, I can just get changed at work.
    It also adds a "cool" factor cycling in down pours with a grin on your face, everyone who sees you thinking you are either an iron man or completely nuts

I hear you there. I wore some non-waterproof shorst for the ride in after it snowed (it was nowhere near as bad here as in the UK). I must have looked a right prat, grinning like an idiot all the way down to work, it was awesome. :lol:
  • landrew
    landrew Posts: 69
    These are good trousers

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=9369&f%5FSupersetQRY=C303&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003156c003157c003663c003665

They are not waterproof but will keep the rain out for longer than most trousers. They also have detachable lower legs so double as shorts. Quite expensive though.
    Andy