Very windy this morning

NFMC
NFMC Posts: 232
edited March 2009 in Commuting chat
It was windy here in Manchester this morning. But, for once, the wind was behind me on the whole 14mile ride. What a treat! That doesn't happen very often.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    NFMC wrote:
    It was windy here in Manchester this morning. But, for once, the wind was behind me on the whole 14mile ride. What a treat! That doesn't happen very often.

Substitute Derby for Manchester and that was my morning as well!!! :D

God it was great, but when I swung around ion a couple of sections I could really feel what was behind me. Really a little scary a couple of times with the gusting
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I'm not a light chap - but the wind nearly did for me a couple of times in sheffield this morning. Was side on or in the face all the way in - fingers crossed for a tail wind on the way home to push me up those hills :D
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    I'm not a light chap - but the wind nearly did for me a couple of times in sheffield this morning. Was side on or in the face all the way in - fingers crossed for a tail wind on the way home to push me up those hills :D

+ 1, but in Cheltenham.

It will have turned round by the time I go home. It always does :evil:
  • It was windy here in Manchester this morning. But, for once, the wind was behind me on the whole 14mile ride. What a treat! That doesn't happen very often.
    Meanwhile, I had that evil hurricane-force wind in my face for my whole commute into Manchester. Pedalling flat out down a big hill, hardly even hitting 25kph. Brutal. Betcha it changes direction 180degrees by 16:00 :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Definitely taking the train home tonight (as much as I want to bike it). there is a lamppost outside wobbling in the wind. :shock:

It's a westerly wind and it's a completely westerly ride home. As much as I relish the challenge, my right knee wouldn't take the abuse.

I'll have to make sure I go hell for leather on the way in tomorrow to make up for it
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    But won't your bike be at work?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    No wind what so ever this morning. Very leisurely commute in, and then on the way home BAM!! That tail wind was dangerous. I had the brakes covered all the way home. Its not often I hit around the 30mph mark thesedays but I was catching up with cars a little to easily.

Even on a couple of hills with a 25 degree incline. Doing about 20. :shock: Man its windy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    biondino wrote:
    But won't your bike be at work?

It's a 5 min ride to Derby station from work (more like 10 in this gale), a 15 minute train ride to Tutbury / Hatton and a 2 min ride from the local station to home.

I'll get there early so my bike is on and I'm sorted
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    NFMC wrote:

Yep, 2 of the local country parks are closed and a few sections of the city centre have been taped off by the police.

I'm off work till Thursday so I went for a pootle :) , good job I had my helmet and specs on, it was a challange avoiding all the debris falling from the trees :?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    NFMC wrote:

I felt as if I had taken the feeble pills this morning, I kept in the misddle chainset, and changed down a gear to go downhill...

The commute home was quick though.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    NFMC wrote:

Same here. I cycled into Manchester from Flixton and cut a good 4 or 5 mins off my usual time. Going home was another story though :evil:
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    My syrup blew off this morning, anyone know where to get a cheap Specialized toupe
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,939
    Went out this AM for a between School Run pootle round the coast road. Turned back after two mile as the wind coming off the coast was horrendous.

Did a couple of laps round the town instead, a one mile uphill drag to 170ft included. Easier climbing with the wind than downhill into the wind.

Tried freewheeling downhill and the wind was strong enough to stop me in my tracks. :shock:

Gravity is normally my downhill friend :oops:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    was fine into work yesterday but on way home was a nightmare, pedaling like mad strugling to reach 20mph down hill. then on road leading to my house thought great little country lane and no wind, when gush all of a sudden i ended up nearly hitting the curb and riding into themiddle of the road but actually only staying in the lane, not good

oh and to top all that off around 5 my bike shed blew over so had to pop home from work to fix it in the car then go back to get my bike as dont finish til 9 :(
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    rally200 wrote:
    My syrup blew off this morning, anyone know where to get a cheap Specialized toupe

LoL!!!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I came round a corner on the way home last night and got hit by such a strong side wind that I nearly rode into a parked car!

I don't think I've ever ridden in such strong gusting side winds.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Looks like tomorrow is going to be another Westerly wind. So I think I'll commute in and take advantage.

I was going to have a rest day and let my knee recover, but 20mph direct tail winds are too much fun to miss :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I came round a corner on the way home last night and got hit by such a strong side wind that I nearly rode into a parked car!

I don't think I've ever ridden in such strong gusting side winds.

thats how it felt for me last night, just uncrontollably being drawn towards the curb lol
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I was a bit slower and on lower gears today. I just assumed I was tired until I got in and had a natter with the other cyclists who mentioned the headwind (most of us come from a similar direction). Made me feel better, anyway :D
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Kieran_Burns
    More than a little scary at some points in this morning

I should've had a rest day to let my knee (and me) recover but the idea of 30moh tail winds was calling....

Not sure it was a good idea, but it was fun at one point: I'm holding(!) 25mph on the flat and I can feel the wind pushing against my back. (it's aCX bike and I'm unfit, GETTING to 25 is something special... I was whizzing along with this wind assistance)

I was cutting through the city (Derby) centre and the wind swirled off a tall building and pushed me 2-3 meters straight out into the road with no warning whatsover. Fortunately there were no cars but that was a very frightening moment!

Train home tonight.... there's no way i can cycle against that wind for over 14 miles. :(
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Bit gusty here, too.

Mostly getting it in the city centre at junctions, when you pull out only to realise there's a 30mph crosswind battering down the street you're crossing.

Most of my commute is on a straightish, wide road, so it's just a case of head down and grind in the middle ring.