Southern XC race series UK - advice please

doublehands
doublehands Posts: 8
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
Having my first go at XC racing this year and my goal is to take part in and complete all 6 races in this series.

I have followed a Friel training plan doing average of 10 hrs per week ( 3 long easy road, aerobic endurance, anaerobic hill intervals, and technical sessions etc). I am usually quickest out of our riding group on XC loops, particularly singletrack / tech sections.

I am 37, normal build, about 175 pounds. As fit as I have ever been thanks to MTB addiction!

What category should I enter?

Any last month build up training tips?

Am running Conti Mountain Kiings / Race Kings tubeless on XTR UST. What would you have in your pocket for a flat?

Thanks

d-hands

Yeti ASR-C 09

Comments

• explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I would go for sport to start with as if you go for expert it is vey fast and I think it's better to go in with a chance. (sport is still quick tho), best of luck.

Oh have a look at these if you fancy some more racing

http://mudsweatgears.sxevents.co.uk
  • dmjb3
    dmjb3 Posts: 29
    If you are 37 you will be in 'Masters', unless you fancy the 'Open' race.

Sport is for the 29 and unders. Expert / Elite you need to qualify for and have a British Cycling racing licence...

In your pocket I would add a (not spare as you are tubeless) tube, in case it burps or you have other troubles the sealant can't cope with. Plus a pump of your choice (manual or gas things) and multi-tool. And an energy gel thing or bar.
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    You might want to try the Gorrick before-hand to give you some race experience and a sharpener before the series start

http://www.gorrick.com/racing/index.php
  • rbonegio
    rbonegio Posts: 14
    If you've never done XC racing before, then I'd suggest going for the Open category, as Masters and Sport etc are extremely competitive, and you may find yourself propping up the field, which is very unnerving/demotivating when you're just starting out. You can always switch categories later on in the series if you start posting times that match the main contenders in the other groups. Open tends to be quite a large group, as many day entrants will go for it, so if you do this try to ensure you're towards the front of the field at the start. However, from the 2nd race onwards, they"grid" the start, so people with top 20 finishes from prior races get to start at the front. Hope that's helpful! For punctures, most people carry one of those small pressurised cylinders that inflate the tyre and seal the puncture in one shot.
  • Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

I will enter the open category and see how I get on.

Cheers - will let you know the outcome.
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    How did it go? First race was this Sunday wasn't it?

Cheers,
    Steve