Wheelbuilding advice - Record hub - radial?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Want to build some lightweight wheels. Rather fancy using Campag Record hubs, and also rather like the idea of a radial front lacing. Anyone able to give an opinion on whether the hub is strong enough for radial pattern.

Might do the rear non'drive side radially too. Bad idea? (I suspect it is, but I'm a bike tart :oops: )

Comments

• There's a big cross over the the diagram of a radially laced hub in the instruction manual, so NO, but I suspect you knew that, otherwise why ask? Campag DO NOTrecommend that you do this.

That said, Ive seen front wheels built radially on Record/Chorus in a very well known Croydon race-oriented bike-shop, but these might have been for demo purposes.

If you must have a radial front then maybe get hold of an AC micro hub and keep Record for the back.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I've had a Campag hub flange -that I shouldn't have built radial- collapse, and I've seen the remnants from plenty of others. It isn't a theoretical risk. It would be a waste of a lovely hub, especially when tangential lacing is such a graceful assembly.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Thanks for that. Sounds like I would be well advised to steer clear of a radial front. :(