first race Boroughbridge

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited April 2009 in Amateur race
After reaching the big 5 0, I decided I'm old enough to have a go at racing, I've contacted Chevin Cycles road race series organiser who has told me there are 3 groups setting off at intervals and they will average 22, 24 and 27 mph. I will be in the slow group although 22 mph over 32 miles seams doable in a group, I average just over 20mph on my own on 21 mile circuits of home. Any advice would be more than welcome, are there any BIG does and don'ts.
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• You'll be fine. Just remember to hold your line through the corners and make sure you make predictable moves in the bunch. That and enjoy it, there's no point otherwise!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Stay in the group, and try not to get dropped, John - it's easier said than done to say "stay in the front 3rd of the pack" etc, etc or similar advice, but it's very easy to find yourself drifting backwards through the group without even noticing (and eventually going out the back). 1st race, just be prepared for a good hard workout and hang in the pack for aslong as you can - great if you can finish in the pack, but if not, doesn't matter - even in the first 10 minutes, you'll learn alot and know exactly what's required pace-wise to stay in the group for your 2nd race.

Good luck, and enjoy it.
  • By chance, this TLI will my very first race too, having hit the big 2 0...

My friends who raced the series last year tell me the first group - 22mph one - can be a case of fast-slow, often going from 25 to 17-18, which is apparently frustrating...
    :D I'll have a look out for you John; I'll be the one wheezing in a red University of York club jersey.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The front group can be fine if several riders know how to go through and off and keep a good speed up. More often the speed is all over the place resulting in the second group catching them early. Then the pace goes up. The only chance the front group has is to work together to stay clear. In an earlier incarnation of these races we managed this and I was able to win my only RR from a group of 7. I think that when the scratch group caught the second one they thought they had everyone and eased off.
    I may have another go at these this year. You are nobut a junior John. I was 56 and having trouble remembering how to sprint. Fortunatly I remebered in time..
  • John C.
    By chance, this TLI will my very first race too, having hit the big 2 0...

My friends who raced the series last year tell me the first group - 22mph one - can be a case of fast-slow, often going from 25 to 17-18, which is apparently frustrating...
    :D I'll have a look out for you John; I'll be the one wheezing in a red University of York club jersey.

Sounds a bit like my dancing, slow slow quick quick slow :lol:

• PMKirky
    PMKirky Posts: 13
    I'll be there too Guys, riding for Drgh BC. The big fat bloke! :lol:
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    By chance, this TLI will my very first race too, having hit the big 2 0...

andy...?
  • cjessop
    cjessop Posts: 36
    Does anyone know how many ladies enter these races?
  • John C.
    cjessop wrote:
    Does anyone know how many ladies enter these races?

I don't know but I know a man who does, contact Cliff below he should be able to answer your questions. Be nice to see you anyway,
    http://www.yorkshiretliseries.net/organisers

• hi tim here my first race as well . did u enter the series on line?
  • cjessop
    Hi Guys,

Hope to be there tomorrow, never raced before, so will a race virgin.

Does anyone have a link to the course I could look at before tomorrow?

Cheers
    CJ
  • hi there

The Walshford course tli race is up and down the a168 from Boroughbridge
    so i have been told .
  • cjessop
    Cheers Timm.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I know this is really cheap of me, but can anyone offer me a lift to the start...???
    It's a bit far to ride and I'm really incredibly desperate for a lift.
    Will happily act as your domestique in the race, fetching drinks from the team car etc.

As I'm at work tomorrow if you can offer me a lift please ring or text me on 07847 133 944!

P.s.
    Any stalkers etc feel free to contact me as well, I get lonely.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf
    Oh as for race advice- will happily offer more if you give me a lift, but basically stay relaxed.

Conserve energy, but make sure you put the effort in when it will count. If it all comes together stay near the front and try and make a break for it towards the end, otherwise the sprinters will just power away.

Oh and others in the front group, please work together, like please for the love of God actually do turns at the front.

Also hey Andy and joey.

Alfred Tennyson
  • joeyhalloran
    How often is it that the groups come together and does this just ramp up the speed so all the riders in the front group get dropped? Whats the time gap between the groups?
  • John C.
    Not going to make this one, but hopefully OK for Milby. What time do I need to be at Boroughbridge?

• nolf
    Group comes together 99% of the time as the front group is tremendously bad at working together and the scratch group tends to be very good, so pulls everyone with them.

Once it does come together the speed does rise a bit, but you wouldn't get dropped Joey. More likely you'd just start moving back and then finish the race near the back. Once it comes together make sure you stay near the front and then towards the end try and power away. If you can't make a break stick (unlikely) make sure you're at or near the front for the last corner so you can sprint out of it and all the way to the line.

Well done to all who attended, hopefully next race I'll have a lift sorted...

Alfred Tennyson
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Try to remember that at almost every corner there tends to be an acceleration
    by the pack leaders in an effort to lose a rider or two or three out the back. The
    main problem with this strategy is that it usually works, and in this way the lead group gets smaller and smaller. Exactly what the leaders want. Your main job, in your first
    race, is to remember this and not let them "get away" at these corners. How long you will
    be able to do this is up to you and you legs. Sad part is that no one waits for you. :wink:
    Anyway, good luck and be alert at the corners. Don't feel to bad if you get popped out the
    back, many a rider has shared in this experience more than a few times.

Dennis Noward
  • joeyhalloran
    Any reports from tonights race? average speeds of each group and the like? (when you get in and straight away come on this forum... :D)
  • hi Tim here
    raced at boroughbridge last night and really enjoyed it 1st race of season finished in first group .av speed 25 mph 31 miles.First group stayed away for approx 15 miles then all came together til end uphill sprint.Dont know who won yet.
    cheers
  • joeyhalloran
    yikes, sounds fast...i'll be there next time...flying out the back of the group :S
  • Tim here
    It was totally cool .VeryBUSY .