Puncture locaton!:?

ngomwamba
ngomwamba Posts: 28
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I've been wondering what the average time is to fix a puncture. Any help?
PS. I have only just arrived in this beautiful country from Nigeria, so please don't be offended if i use incorrect English

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I usually fix mine in under half an hour, but some reckon they can fix theirs in 10 minutes, but they're lying.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The best I've managed on the commute was 5mins from stopping to riding off again with a slightly soft tyre. Stop, undo QR get wheel out, let tyre down and pull it off rim, tube out and check tyre for the visit from PF, new tube in and a few strokes of pump, tyre on and wheel back into bike, pump up tyre best I can with pump and ride off. Inflate tyre fully when I get to work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • on the road
    your watch is broke :lol:
  • paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    redvee wrote:
    The best I've managed on the commute was 5mins from stopping to riding off again with a slightly soft tyre. Stop, undo QR get wheel out, let tyre down and pull it off rim, tube out and check tyre for the visit from PF, new tube in and a few strokes of pump, tyre on and wheel back into bike, pump up tyre best I can with pump and ride off. Inflate tyre fully when I get to work.

That wasnt the Mavic Neutral service bike was it. Although seems to fast for them!!! :D
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I fix punctures at home. :) Takes about 30 seconds to find the hole and about another 20 to patch it up.

When I get one on the road, I just replace the inner tube with a new one.

10 seconds to flip the bike over and get the wheel out.
    5 seconds to let any air out of the tyre.
    5-10 seconds to get the tyre off.
    5 seconds to get the old innertube out.
    2 minutes to get the new one in.
    30 seconds to get the tyre back on.
    1 minute to pump up (30 seconds with a track pump)
    5 seconds to get the wheel back on the bike.
  • Bhima
    I usually fix mine in under half an hour
    :shock: You serious? :shock:
  • Flash 72
    Flash 72 Posts: 76
    usually about 10 minutes depends on what tyre levers and pump I'am using
    If I only scrape a livin, at least it's living worth sraping for
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    To locate the puncture I wet a tissue and move it around the inflated tyre.
    I then remove the tube in the location of the puncture, give the hole area a quick sand and wipe; then stick on a pre-glued patch.
    Then replace the tube and tyre and use my road morph pump (highly recommended) to pump it back up to 110psi. This procedure usually takes 10 - 15 mins.
    I also carry a spare tube for catastrophic blow-outs.
  • on the road
    Bhima wrote:
    I usually fix mine in under half an hour
    :shock: You serious? :shock:
    Yes, because unlike you, I look for the offending article in the tyre, then i won't get another puncture.

Luckily, I've only had 4 punctures in 4 years.
  • Bhima
    Yes, because unlike you, I look for the offending article in the tyre, then i won't get another puncture.

Well, I do that too, but it's usually obvious - big stone/nail etc... so takes very little time to get out. Come to think of it, i've never had a puncture from something so small, it's impossible to find! I know others who've not been able to find anything - resulting in repeated punctures...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    does it really matter how long it takes..?
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    I take a new tube and just switch till I get home. Jobs a good 'un.
  • bilabonic
    bilabonic Posts: 299
    How are some people removing/replacing their tyres without levers ?

There is no way i could do this with mine ??
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you're on a fast club run with a bike club you only get a few mins to deal with a puncture. Possibly 5 mins before people get fidgetty and impatient! This includes looking for the thorn, shard of glass etc. It helps if you use gas cannisters to inflate the tyre again
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pump?! CO2 you mean :D

Punctured tube out. New tube in. Inflate in one second with CO2. Back on bike and away.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • Bhima
    bilabonic wrote:
    How are some people removing/replacing their tyres without levers ?

There is no way i could do this with mine ??

I use levers but I once came across a stranded beginner roadie who had a puncture, so I fixed it for him - he had super soft tyres which were foldable - I could literally just push them off the rim.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I can usually whip tyres off with thumbs, although i doubt i'll be doing that with the new pro race 3's... Only just got them on with thumbs, couldn't get them on at all with levers!!!!
  • Headhuunter
    I've got Hutchinson Fusion 2s on at the moment and they are very loose on the rims. Although it's very easy to lever/pull them off, I think because they're so baggy on the rim, they don't "bed in" properly and allow the tube to squeeze out between the edge of the tyre and the rim which them causes them to explode. I've managed to write off 2 inner tubes recently whilst inflating....
  • ngomwamba
    This influx of information has been very useful to me. Thank you for all of those who replie to my topic, you are very praiseworthy, I wish you a long and happy life. Could anyone actually tell me how long it takes to actually FIND the puncture though, as opposed to fixing it as a hole. You see, instead of replacing the inner tubing, i patch up the puncture instead, which is cheaper and better for mother nature. Any help?
  • Headhuunter
    ngomwamba wrote:
    This influx of information has been very useful to me. Thank you for all of those who replie to my topic, you are very praiseworthy, I wish you a long and happy life. Could anyone actually tell me how long it takes to actually FIND the puncture though, as opposed to fixing it as a hole. You see, instead of replacing the inner tubing, i patch up the puncture instead, which is cheaper and better for mother nature. Any help?

Thanks for your wishes of a long a happy life. You too! Take the tube out, stick some air in it, if you have a fast puncture, you'll probably hear the air hissing out of the hole, so it should be easy to find. If it's a slow one, however, only a small pin prick of a hole, you may need to immerse the tube in water and look for bubbles to find the hole. Slow punctures are not easy to find when you're squatting by the side of a road, so best thing is to replace the tube with a fresh one and repair the puncture when you get somewhere with water.

Finding a fast puncture takes a matter of seconds, finding a slower one obviously will take much longer.
  • on the road
    It usually helps if you place your ear to the tube, especially if it's a slow puncture.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If by a busy road where it can be completely impossible to actually hear the quiet hiss of air out against the sound of tyres and engines, I'll try and feel the air rushing out of the hole created, but if its a slow puncture or a windy day you might not feel anything, so the only practical way to find it is to wait until you have the required bucket/sink full of water to immerse the tube in.

An excellent reason to carry a spare tube (or three).
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • ngomwamba
    Thanks for the help :D do you think a product that would allow you to locate small punctures within 30 seconds would do well on the market?