Walna Scar Road

Airienteer
Airienteer Posts: 695
edited March 2009 in Routes
I'm riding the Walna Scar Road in the Lakes tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knew what the best options were decscent wise. Should I just go straight down to Coniston or turn off on the bridleway down to Torver? Cheers

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd head off to Torver personally, it's not long after the turning that Walna Scar road turns into a tarmac lane. Depends where you want to end up though.

Good luck, scarred the willies out of me on the descent last time I did it (snow on the top didn't help either).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • This might be too late, but I was over there yesterday. I went up from Torver to the WS road. It would be a good descent, but there are gates on it, and it is som ewhat narrow in places where the walkers usually run out of puff and stop. It is certainly more of a technical descent than the descent towards Coniston.

I went towards Coniston, and at the car park turned off left and worked my way through the quarries. You have to go past lots of "Danger" signs, but they don't work weekends! The descent from the Coppermines to Coniston is a good high speed blast.
    Frank Yates