Trek ex9?????

SOHROB
SOHROB Posts: 21
edited July 2009 in XC and Enduro
Has anybody got one of these, if so how have you found it and what are they like on climbs?

Also is £1800 a good deal on a brand new bike from a dealer?

Thanks

Comments

• birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    yea i've got one mint all rounder goes up well and down mint :twisted: altough i have got a top fuel 8 as well and on long steep climbs that i have had both bikes on the top fuel is the better climber on a big drag, maybe cos its got full lock out the rear and more compact, which does make it seem a bit quicker on tight twisty singletrack aswell (or maybe the latter is that i just dont want to bin my new bike so i hold back a bit :roll: )
    But yea i would reccomend one they are a mint all day do anything bike and 1800 is a very good price dont think you would find one for much less .
    Hope this helps you
  • I've ridden my Friends EX8 at a few trail centers and loved it. It's certainly not a beginners bike it feels like a AM bike not a XC bike. If you've got good bike handling skills and you ride at trail centers a lot you won't go far wrong. The only thing we changed on his bike was the stem and seat/post to get a better riding position. The seat that came with it started to creek after 2 rides so that had to be replaced.

Great bike but not suited for everyone.

Go to a Demo day and try one out before splash nearly 2k.

Ride on!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    SOHROB wrote:
    Has anybody got one of these, if so how have you found it and what are they like on climbs?
    I had a quick spin on an EX8 last year. The back end was very firm in a 'suspended hard tail' kind of way and IMO it would make a great FS bike for someone used to a hard tail. Out-of-the-saddle cimbing was outstanding but it didn't encourage sit-and-spin or slow technical climbs.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I've got one and it's pretty good allround, i've trail centred it, raced it and did a 10 hour race on it, very good bike with good spec.
  • baz2963
    baz2963 Posts: 174
    Cool bike, who is doing them £1800 though ?
  • globalfish
    globalfish Posts: 26
    Just make sure it's not an older one without the extra weld where the frame cracks develop in front of the rear brake mount on the seat stay. Seems to happen on remedy and ex models. Shame - looks good but obviously not tested very well. I'd be put off by that in a fresh design. I work in NDT and find cracks in gas turbine blades - you never see 'em coming with the naked eye!
    Guy I met had a large crack develop in Wales though Trek did replace frame. Should be a recall in my opinion but it's cheaper to replace 'em 'as & when'. Due to recession if you bought a used one and didn't have original bill of sale, you may have problems getting a new frame when it cracks.
    Iron Horse Azure Expert
    Giant Trance 3
    Scott G-Zero FX
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    good point about the extra weld on the frame. If I`m correct, make sure it`s an 09?
    I have an EX8 and I fecking love it, a bike I could ride all day - well sometimes anyway lol
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • hondafanatic
    hondafanatic Posts: 213
    SOHROB wrote:

Also is £1800 a good deal on a brand new bike from a dealer?

Thanks

I have one. 09 Model. I came from a Trek 8000 that was heavily customised ergo: very light.

The EX9 is much quicker when pointing downhill and about the same pointing up as my old 8000. I'm firmly in the 'keep wheels on the gorund' group, so climbing was important to me and with the pro-pedal switched on, it's nearly as good as a hardtail on smooth stuff, and better on rutted.

To be honest, it's the best bike I have out of my current bunch and have no problem recommending.

Cheers
    David
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    My 08 is crack free with a 185 mm out back - guess it's pot luck!
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    I have the EX9 in large and must say its very good indeed.
    It climbs really well and the only limiting factor is ME!!!!

Its going up for sale soon as ive also got a Remedy by trek which is nearly as good at climbing.

Either way a great bike!! :D
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg