fixing punchures

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
does everyone fix the innertube when they have a punchure and use the tube again or do they replace with new tube everytime

Comments

• ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    If it,s a small hole, ie less than 2mm i would fix it. If it,s any more than 2mm i would not repair it. Not worth the risk. Just think of the speed you may be riding at and possible heavy traffic, i just feel that it,s not worth taking the risk of fixing larger holes as opposed to fitting a new tube. If you buy in bulk then an inner tube may cost 2 quid or less. My life is worth more than 2 quid, is yours? :) Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I often repair the first puncture, but for the second one I throw the tube away.

Btw, punchure !?!
    Shazam !!
  • I just replace mine. Tubes are cheap enough, especially in bulk. That said i rarely get punctures. Depends what tyres you use i suppose.
  • bilabonic
    bilabonic Posts: 299
    Where you guys getting tubes in bulk ? I recently had both tubes (F+R) punctured, so bought some from halfords at £5 each.

Also found that the the new tube did not allow the tyre 'sit' correctly by the valve area. The existing punctured tube was less 'bulky' around this area and marked on it was 'superthin ?

Any advise on this ??

ta
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • DomPro wrote:
    I often repair the first puncture, but for the second one I throw the tube away.

Btw, punchure !?!

SAME AS THAT, :D
  • Hi.I get my innertubes from here http://www.cycleworld.co.uk/. 3 for 1 at the moment,but the offer seems to last a while cos i got mine before Christmas. :)
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    There is no reason not to fix it several times,unless you like spending money on tubes.Tubes aren`t cheap if you get a lot of punctures.I don`t but I fix them anyway.Rema racing patches are barely noticeable.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Ive had no probs with them and they are a known make.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I take out 2 spare innertubes and replace them if I get punctures. Then I fix the holes on the old ones when I get home.

If I have more than 2 punctures, i'll fix them on the side of the road.

I currently have an innertube which has been patched up 9 times. It's still going though - and it's not been punctured since December. :D
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Bhima wrote:
    I take out 2 spare innertubes and replace them if I get punctures. Then I fix the holes on the old ones when I get home.

If I have more than 2 punctures, i'll fix them on the side of the road.

I currently have an innertube which has been patched up 9 times. It's still going though - and it's not been punctured since December. :D
    Me too. I'd rather save the money to spend on something I want, rather than an unnecessarily new tube.
    After repairing the tube, I stick a bit of air in it (not masses, don't want to burst it) and leave it inflated for a couple of days just to check the patch is holding fine. I'll then take off the spare inner tube and replace it with the repaired one (but will always try and do this the day before I ride, again so I can pump it up to 110 psi and check that it hasn't gone down overnight)
  • Bhima
    Yes, I do that too. I thought it was a bit excessive but it's good to see i'm not the only one taking puncture repair so seriously! :lol:

If you patch the tubes properly, you should be able to use them for a lifetime!
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    I repair mine too, not really because of the price but environmental issues too. If I can fix something I will.

I know people who are fairly environmentally aware and who complain about how products these days are now cheaper to replace than repair, yet they'll still bin a tube instead of fix it because it's easy and cheap. :?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I repair mine. Feather edge patches from Condor near where I work are cheap and unnoticeable on the road.

I have to say, with regard to different brands of inner tube, I really don't feel any difference. I have never tried latex tubes which some say are completely different, however as far as butyl is concerned, if you ask me, they are all much of a muchness, whether you buy them for £1 each at Decathlon or get some Specialized or Conti branded tube. To me it really makes no difference either in terms of ride quality or puncture frequency.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I always take a spare out with me and repair the flat one when I get home. However I noticed this morning that my rear tyre had gone flat so I replaced the inner tube with a previously repaired inner tube.

On my way to work I could feel a definate bump as I rode along, like bump, bump, bump as the wheel rotated. I suspect that the reapir on the inner tube has made it a bit out of shape and unusable sadly. I'll ride it home and replace it with a new one I think.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    I always replace. I never repair.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    On short rides I don't bother with a spare tube and can fix a puncture in about 12 mins. I replace when the tube starts to affect the smoothness of the wheel - a good repair is at least as strong as the original
  • Bhima
    Actually, a properly fixed puncture could possibly be stronger than a new innertube...!
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    If it can be repaired, repair it with a decent patch. no need to chuck it out cos you,ve got to put a patch on. If you cant be arsed send it to me :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Never had a puncture but I guess I would justreplace. Lifes too short and I have a collection of tubes that I've never got to use :lol::lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This thread could be retitled "Who couldn't be bothered to pick up a fiver they dropped" :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    kozzo wrote:
    I always replace. I never repair.

Can I have your discarded tubes?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Check PM
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Depends on the bike. I have never had a particularly strong repair success rate on tubes for 23mm tyres. Its probably the cheap patches I use but I have found it tricky to get a good seal that doesn't leak at the patch. The patches have worked well enough for a 'get you home' job but I would find they would go flat after about an hour.

No problems with thicker wheels though (28mm and above).

Tiny