Ken Night

yogi
yogi Posts: 456
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
I just thought I should let you all know that my very good friend known on this forum as Ken Night was involved in a serious collision with a motor vehicle early yesterday (Thursday) evening in Plympton, Plymouth.

Ken is currently in the intensive care Pencarrow Ward at Derriford Hospital and is fighting for his life. As soon as I have any further news I will let you all know.

Ken was on his way to join us on our regular Thursday evening road ride when the accident happened. He is a tireless and passionate campaigner for cycling in Plymouth, working with Plymouth City Council and championing the Yealm Estuary Shared Use Path, he also very much supports the ethos of YOGi Cycling and is a constant source of well informed advice.

We wish him and his family well.

You can read the local newspapers report on the incident at http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/cyclists-injured/article-784078-detail/article.html#StartComments along with the usual anti-cyclist bile on the comments section.

We will be going ahead with our planned ride from B&Q Car Park, Marsh Mills, Plympton, Plymouth at 9am and will ride up the road where Ken was knocked down.

I think Ken would approve of this show of support and I would welcome any cyclists in the area to join us. It is somewaht ironic that the ride we will be doing takes in a climb that Ken showed me some years ago.

Comments

• I would like to wish Ken a speedy recovery.
    I met Ken at the Exmoor Beast last year, he made a point to come over and introduce himself to me, and have a brief chat.
    He came across as a complete and utter gentleman, and i wish Ken and his family all the very best, and i hope to walk over to Ken at the next Exmoor Beast and shake his hand.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • yogi
    Thanks Howie, he is a gent. I and some of my firends may well ride the Beast with him.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Terrible news - please pass my best wishes on. As Howie said, he's always come across on the forum as a thoroughly decent and helpful guy, and his enthusiasm for the bike is always evident. You can always count on him to weigh in with a good bit of advice, and an encouraging word to other riders. Fingers crossed that he pulls through.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Dreadful news. Like howiejmidlands, I too met Ken Night (at the '07 White Rose Classic). His refined manners, charm and laid back attitude (not to mention his fitness and strength) instantly made him someone that's easy to like and respect.

Let's hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I'd attend the ride if I wasn't 450 miles to your north. I'll be thinking of him when I'm out tomorrow.

:(
  • yogi
    Thanks for your comments guys. I've just spoken to one our friends who has had contact with his family today. Ken has a serious head injury and is sedated, a couple of broken ribs and a punctured lung. He's by no means out of the woods and only the next 48 hours will tell but he is very fit and lets hope that he pulls through. I'll keep you posted.

I should have said that our show of support is tomorrow (Saturday). Thanks once again for your support in all forms.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Oh, that is just awful news about Ken. We emailed each other a few times and also met on the Exmoor Beast in November. To echo everyone else's comments, he comes across as such a pleasant fellow with a huge passion for cycling and I hope he makes a complete and speedy recovery. Best wishes to Ken & his family. I hope your support ride tomorrow is a success. I'll be thinking of Ken when I ride tomorrow.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    This is dreadful news. I had a long chat with Ken after last year's White Rose Classic, and I thought he was a great bloke. I've exchanged several emails with him over the last week, regarding his potential purchase of a new steel frame.
    All the best to Ken and his family, I will be thinking of you
    Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery!
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    edited March 2009
    This is horrible. Living in America, I have not met Ken except for reading his always helpful and respectful comments on this forum. What a powerful reminder for all of us what is at stake every time we ride. I too will think of him as I ride tomorrow. I wish Ken the best.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Dont know the poor fella (though possibly have spoken to him once or twice here), but never like to see a fellow cyclist down. Hope he pulls through.
  • rob_spedding
    rob_spedding Posts: 442
    edited March 2009
    Yogi - have a good ride and best wishes to Ken. Hope he's back on his bike soon.
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Best wishes to Ken, and his family - hope he recovers fully.
  • Excellent tun out today was a good way to show our solidarity with Ken.

www.rutrainingtoday.co.uk
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    What awful news. I do wish Ken a speedy and full recovery, and that he's able to enjoy his love of cycling for years to come.

Red Rock
  • yogi
    Some photographs of today's ride in support of Ken Middlemiss and his family http://yogi.terapad.com/index.cfm?fa=contentImageGallery.listImages&directoryId=10319. Many different Plymouth clubs joined today's ride.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    OMFG jeez

Ken's as tough as old boots, as well as being one of the nicest people you could hope to meet. So he's gotta pull through.

Please keep us updated.

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    Awful news. Get well soon, Ken, our thoughts with you.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ken, wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Terrible news. Met Ken at the Dragon last year and we crossed cycling paths a number of times on events here and abroad. Please pass on hopes for a speedy recovery and let him know thoughts with him.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Really awful to see this news - it's shocking when one of our community comes to harm on the roads. I do hope Ken is making a good recovery. My best wishes to him.

Ruth
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Just read this, what terrible news.

I've never met Ken but have had many interesting conversations with him on this site. His passion for cycling shines through in all his postings.

I wish him a swift and full recovery.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Thinking of Ken, his family and friends and hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery.

This sort of news is occurring all too frequently on this forum - take care out on the roads everyone. :cry:
  • crown_jewel
    Any word on how Ken is doing?
  • yogi
    No real news as yet. He's stable and is showing a good amount of pupil movement apparently. Last I heard, Ken was still sedated but they were slowly reducing this. As soon as I hear anything new I'll let you all know.

We had a good turnout for the ride in support of Ken & family on Saturday. Ken's daughter and son have also posted on the YOGi Cycling website thanking everyone for their kind thoughts.
  • Yogi - it's been a week now since the last update. Has Ken made any progress? Sheesh, I hope so. :cry:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Hope Ken is doing OK - as a fellow 'cross rider he's contributed a lot to off-road technical discussions on BikeRadar, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Only just read this - awful. Only "met" on this Forum, but clearly a top man. My best wishes.

Inexplicably seems even worse because I lived in Plympton for 8 years.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • yogi
    I really appreciate all your thoughts, as I know his family do. I've refrained from posting any further news until now beacause basically there had been no change from my previous post, however I received this news today (see below).

Ken's wife says we just have to wait now until he regains consciousness. This may take time. He is responding physically but his eyes are not yet opening.
    He may well be in hospital for months even after he has come round. We just have to wait.

On a lighter note "DavidBelcher" - having taken Ken on a mountain bike ride (to which he was quite new to) technically off-road Ken is awful - I'm sure he won't mind me saying that, and I hope we'll have a good laugh about it one day. I know you probably mean from a bike tech point of view but it did make me chuckle - so thanks for that.
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    I'm sure Everyone on the Forum wishes Ken a full & speedy Recovery , As Beacon Ruth said it's one big Community & we hate to see one go down . I've nver met the Man , but you do feel you know people when you're on Forum such as this . Here's to his Recovery :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Awful news. I havent met Ken yet, but hope to at future events.

Best wishes for a full recovery.
  • crown_jewel
    Thanks for the update. We are all hoping for the best.