how much bike is 'enough' for day-long xc trips?

minus9ine
minus9ine Posts: 13
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
A friday afternoon call upon the expertise of the bikeradar hivemind...

As per the thread title what constitutes 'enough' bike to tackle day rides such as the Gap Road in the Brecon Beacons or bridlepath routes in the Lakes, Malverns, Cotswolds etc?

Some context: this post is inspired largely by Merlin's offer on the commencal normal v-brake at £249; this looks like a great deal at a time when bike prices seem to be shooting up. Reading on here, it seems that forks are the weakest point of cheap bikes, so is the suntour xcr on the normal up to the task? what are it's weaknesses? besides the lack of discs, what else is lacking in the commencal spec? Would the commencal stand up to the routes mentioned above, and how much upgrading would the frame warrant over a few years?

Beyond the Merlin deal, how much would I be looking to spend otherwise if I didn't want to upgrade for a few years?

I live in Norfolk, not exactly mountain bike territory, so aside from trips to the in-laws in Worcester 3-4 times a year and holidays in the Lakes, my MTB usage would be limited to Thetford, family rides on sustrans/railway paths such as Marriott's Way and maybe winter commuting when I'd rather save my road bike.

Hopefully that makes sense, shout if there's anything I haven't said that influences the answer, and thanks for any words of wisdom.

Andy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No matter what you spend, parts wear out, and is something you cannot avoid. However more expensive bikes tend to hav ebetter bearings and seals etc.

The bike is certainly enough to do what you plan - just keep it well serviced. Decent frame, a couple of upgrades won't outdo it - fork is good for that money, buit something like a Tora or Recon would get more out of the bike.
  • Hi,

I have been back on the MTB scene since October last year, after a gap of 10 years, and boy how things have moved on, after much deliberation I managed to get a good deal on a Spesh Rockhopper disc 2008. It may be more than you want to spend £500 or so but it really does deliver, great Tora 302 forks, avid juice 3 breaks which are exceptional value for money light weight etc etc. I have taken it to some fairly heavy duty bike parks and it has always impressed me I am taking it to Afan forset in two weeks. I guess it comes down to personal choice in the end and after a few test rides on other cheaper bikes my generel opinion is if you but cheap you will feel the difference on the trails.

My advice get some test rides in and be strong when the salesman shows you the very shiny and sexy £1000 plus bikes.

hope this helps
    Jimmer
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
    Sports don't build character, they reveal them!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yep, the way I always describe the XCR (I have the XCR-120LO on my spare bike) is that it's the worst fork that I've ever been happy riding on... It's a bit crude, it feels a bit sloppy and it's not well controlled at all, but then it costs less than some seatposts. But it gets the job done, I bounced round glentress red on mine and admittedly, a couple of times I felt like I was doomed but it always got me through. So, perfectly good fork for the job, and it should definately do what you want from it. Just keep the seals lubed- they're not very effective ("seals" is a bit misleading!) and they retain mud like nobody's business which will eat into the fork and guides if you let it and wreck it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • minus9ine
    minus9ine Posts: 13
    Thanks for the advice guys - sounds like the commencal deal may well be for me.

Of course, I'd love to spend £500 or more (I've been lusting after several shiny bikes - genesis altitude, core, specialized rockhopper etc), but for my usage it's difficult to justify anything more than 'enough' at the moment (It's only the fact that my road bike will be no good for family rides that means I can budget for a mtb anyway!).

I'll take note of the advice re. maintenance of the forks - I've only been cycling again for 2 years on a specialized sirrus, so I've never owned (or even ridden) a bike with any suspension.
  • maintenance of the forks

i think there isnt very much needed, just water and a rag to clean it, maybe some oil here and then on the tube.

i got spec rockhopper 08 for 390 wicked bike.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, it's all just preventative, easy stuff. Wipe mud off, wipe oil on ;) But it'll pay off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    minus9ine wrote:
    how much bike is 'enough' for day-long xc trips?
    A fast lightweight bike will let you rip round and be back in time for tea and cakes but will be very unforgiving when you're tired and there's still 10 miles to go. A softer-edged bike will give you a reassuring pat on the back when your legs are burning, your hands are cold and darkness is falling.