Wakefield Cycle Maps

gjp112n
gjp112n Posts: 29
edited April 2009 in Routes
Not Mountain Biking as such, but i guess this is the best place to ask (If there's somewhere better, please tell me and I'll ask there) :?:

Has anyone managed to get hold of Wakefield Councils' Cycle maps ?

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndL ... leMaps.htm

The downloads don't work, the libraries don't stock them, I've probably expended more energy trying to get hold of them than I would cycling the routes

Comments

• HarryX
    HarryX Posts: 36
    The pdf downloads work for me mate.
  • gjp112n
    HarryX wrote:
    The pdf downloads work for me mate.

Have you actually printed them off ?

'cos I can't at home
    and I can't at work
    and the staff at Castleford library can't get them to print either......
  • HarryX
    Downloaded it to my PC mate. Maybe it's your web browser. I used google's chrome.

Im trying to print it now - it's saying it's 'flattening' it ... been saying that for 5 mins. Ill let you know if it works ;)
  • HarryX
    I gave up with it, it was killing my PC.

How about downloading it, opening it on a big monitor, photo that then print that out ... ;)
  • gjp112n
    HarryX wrote:
    I gave up with it, it was killing my PC.

How about downloading it, opening it on a big monitor, photo that then print that out ... ;)
    yep, that's about it.
    I have actually been able to print it to a black and white printer, but that has two problems -
    you can't distinguish the colour coding on the maps, which makes them pretty useless
    you've got a large map scaled down to a piece of A4, so you can't actually read any of the text without a battery of magnifying glasses.

So Wakefield Council think they are doing a good job of making cycle maps available to the public, but at a guess, nobody has actually tested it through to the end result
  • joff69
    joff69 Posts: 18
    We've just found a good route thats starts at NewMillerDam.
    Goes to the top of the Dam, through the woods out onto the disused railway takes you close to Notton and back to Wintersett Reservoir and then back towards Newmillardam.
    16 Miles ish, not exactly full of singletrack, but a decent ride out. Cup of tea at wintersett res. Warning cafe not open till 10am on sundays!

http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:4MV5

Should bring up a map?!
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I've looked at the council map too, it's not much use for MTB's though, theyre all covered paths an it even includes the marked paths that run alongside roads, at least they have tried though unlike many councils.

Joff69
    me and few mates ride that route, don't know if you've found it yet but in the woods near Cold Hindley resvoir theres and excellent stretch of single track that runs alongside the stream.

Also, try going out the top of Newmiller Dam then accross Barsley road and into secker woods oposit, nice loop and very technical in places, should have dried out a bit now too.