Bouncy bouncy

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Whilst out on a run today I found myself bouncing up and down in the saddle once I got over a certain cadence. Not sure of the cadence as I don't have that info on the bike, but I was only doing it when pedaling alot quicker than I normally do. I guess I must have been over 90rpm.

Any idea what causes this and how to avoid? Wasn't a very nice feeling!!

Comments

• paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    What kind of gear were you turning. You can start to bounce if you are pushing too low a gear and your cadence is high.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    What kind of gear were you turning. You can start to bounce if you are pushing too low a gear and your cadence is high.

Can't quite remember the gearing, think I was on the small ring up front anyway and prob doing about 20mph ish. The high cadence was definatley the cause as I was turning faster than I normally would. If I start to bounce does that just indicate I should be moving to a higher gear?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most riders have a cadence where there is a tendency to bounce in the saddle - it depends on the smoothness of your pedalling technique. Stick is up a gear to slow your cadence or pedal faster - it does smooth out. Mine's about 150rpm which is usually reserved for fast downhills on a fixed gear - but it smooths out beyond that all the way past 200...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    You'll be pushing on the pedals.

The pedal is rotating up before your foot is ready to come up with it, therefore lifting you on the seat.

Concentrate on a rotational pedal movement, pushing over the top and 'wiping' your foot at the bottom of the stroke. This way, you won't 'push' as much on the down stroke.

It takes some practice.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com