Tubes without threaded valve stems

MrChuck
MrChuck Posts: 1,663
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Can anyone tell me which brand of tubes have valve stems without threading all the way down? I've found myself with a threaded one on my road bike and my track pump won't fit on it very well, so I'd like to go back to ones without the threading.

Edit: I'm after road tubes.

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    A have a 26" Halfords own brand long presta valve tube which is not threaded.
  • MrChuck
    Should have said I'm after road tubes! I've not come across a threaded MTB one before so never been a problem.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Cheapo Decathlon ones.
    More problems but still living....
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    MrChuck wrote:
    Should have said I'm after road tubes! I've not come across a threaded MTB one before so never been a problem.

That's probably because most MTB tubes use Shraeder valves.
    Besides, the thread all the way helps to retain the valve against the rim on Presta tubes: I have one with, one without.

BTW, I just checked: I have also got a spare lightweight Halford's own presta long valve tube 700x25c which is not threaded.
  • MrChuck
    fnegroni wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

That's probably because most MTB tubes use Shraeder valves.

Maybe, but mine don't!
    Sounds like Halfords is the way forwards then- the only other ones I've found are Michelins but not many places seem to have them.
  • Vittoria ones do not have threads (at least the long valve ones in my saddle bag and i can check the short valve ones when I get home if it will help).

For info: they are quite cheap from ribble If you buy in bulk:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... ITTTUBE220

and seem good quality (at least to me)
  • MrChuck
    Thanks Gethin. Just for info I had a look at the one that came with the bike and it's a Kenda, so will probably try and get some more of those.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Michelin Aircomp Ultralight's like these have un-threaded stems:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20485

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Michelin A1s. No threads and reliable in my experience...