need riding buddie in preston

balchy88
balchy88 Posts: 108
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
hi just got back into mtb got a bike at xmas but have no one to ride with as none of my mates are intrested, im 20 and like riding trails got an xc bike, jus for fun and fitness, bored of riding on my own lol

Comments

• Hey , same situation im 16 though
    i also live in preston ;)
    Singletrack Heaven :)
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Hey!

I'm also 20 and from Preston :) There are quite a few people riding in Rivington (just on the A6 towards Chorley), so you are welcome to join us!

We are organising Rivington ride this Wednesday (8th April), and another ride in Lee Quarry some time next week (probably Tuesday if weather holds up).

Any of you have a car? For wednesday we might meet in town centre so train could be okay, as for Lee Quarry ride most likely going by car, and only 2 bikes can fit on the rack.

Gisburn Forrest is also in queue for Trail centres visits :)
  • JxL
    Okay, planning a short ride in Rivington tomorrow afternoon (16th April, 5pm ish). Anybody want to join me? Most likely will be out til 9 or so.

Weather is looking good.
  • where is rivington?! :lol:
  • JxL
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    where is rivington?! :lol:

Its not far from Chorley. This is not an exact route but should give you a clue where abouts it is:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/routes/?bp ... gton-Jaunt

Usually start from the reservoir, go round through the forest to the right (where loads of activity climbing stuff going on), do a nice [or should I say gruelling] ]climb past a farm, then make the way up to the [errr large antenna thing :D ], following by a long rocky descent, take a road up belmont, then go offroad onto farmland dodging sheep, go past lead mines and somehow end up back at reservoir. Worst description ever, probably does not make any sense other than in my head! Only done this route 3 times so far but its quite fun :)
  • kewl, thats really not far from me! (when i'm home)

Finish uni in around 6-8 weeks (depending on exam times) so i'll be up for a blast soon :)
  • JxL
    sure thing! give me a PM when you are up for it. Im still in uni too (photography degree at blackpool & fylde), have a 3000 word essay for 30th april, and three deadlines around the same time for photo work.
  • kewl, i'm down in london - home is Lytham :)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    kewl, i'm down in london - home is Lytham :)

Stop saying "kewl", it makes you look like a tosser.

Just a bit of friendly advice Benj :D:D !!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • kewl, cheers for the kewl advice :)
  • dave_hill
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    kewl, cheers for the kewl advice :)

TOSSER!! :lol::lol:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • :lol::lol::lol:

Go get your coat you moaning barsteward :D
  • dave_hill
    Ok, kewl.

Feck!!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mccmarc
    mccmarc Posts: 57
    :D

Lads am in preston right near to Hoghton towers which is KWEL :D:D:D

am 40 so go slow for me

will sort a ride out soon if any one is up for it
  • JxL
    mccmarc wrote:
    :D

Lads am in preston right near to Hoghton towers which is KWEL :D:D:D

am 40 so go slow for me

will sort a ride out soon if any one is up for it

Yup, give me a ring/PM when you go to Rivington. This week might be tough as have an essay to finish, but should make some time for a ride.
  • mccmarc
    KEWL
  • markc123
    markc123 Posts: 4
    I'm also looking for some more riding - I'm 15 miles south of preston and willing to drive... Often do Llandegla and did try Lee Quarry last weekend...
  • JxL
    markc123 wrote:
    I'm also looking for some more riding - I'm 15 miles south of preston and willing to drive... Often do Llandegla and did try Lee Quarry last weekend...

Always welcome to join me on rides! Uni deadlines will soon be finished so will have more time.

email to streetballstar(at)gmail(dot)com
  • mccmarc
    what ya all up to this wednesday
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Yep rivi is quality, hopefully get up there more often once GCSEs are out of the way - :evil:

If preston riders are looking to get more involved in the sport, try the 'groovy tribe' mtb club, they do xc and dh.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • JxL
    Hehe, never heard of the "groovy tribe" :) will have to google them.

Was going to ride sunday/today but its pissing down and it will be too boggy at rivi :(
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    I looked at groovy tribe once. Bit hard core. They even say that if you have a puncture or mechanical failure it's up to you to sort yourself out, they won't wait! Ride reports are always on about "hardcore" and "eyeballs out". Don't seem to encourage outsiders. Appear to be a closed clique of wanna be racers.
    Frank Yates
  • Whytepeak
    Hmmmm, may be the case, but the only 'groovy triber' I have met seemed very nice (I had him service my forks), although the club does promote racing and gets discounts in series supported by leisurelakes. Can't believe they would leave you behind when out on a normal club outing though...?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    It used to be specified on their web page that all riders had to be mechanically competent (or something similar), but they got a panning, on STW I think, and that seems to have been altered. When I made enquiries about joining one of the first things they asked me was what would I do if I had a major problem 10 miles from home. When I said I'd have to walk back they seemed to like that!

Maybe they've changed but their site still seems to make it clear that they don't want anyone who can't look after themselves.

Or maybe it's just me not being too keen on clubs :roll:
    Frank Yates
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    My club is ok...we wait for peeps with mechanicals and ride at the slowest riders speed....well they always wait for me and i'm dead slow :lol:
    B.A.D blackburn and district mountain bikers
    www.blackburnbikers.co.uk
    They also are one of the main players in helping the Healey Nab trail build near Rivington
    Caz xxxx
  • Whytepeak
    Interesting looking club that, what are the joining conditions, how old do you have to be ect.... The websit dosent really say this.

Edit - found it in the forum, 16+, hmmm, I may have to wait a while.
  • Whytepeak
    Hmmm torn between the groovy tribe and blackburnbikers :?
  • Whytepeak
    blackburnbikers seems to make more sense as they ride locally often, and occasionally roam further afield, rather thn the other way round.