Expletives deleted...

ConsciousPilot
ConsciousPilot Posts: 117
edited March 2009 in The bottom bracket
Came a &%*£? cropper big style on Tuesday. Coming downhill about 40kph and approaching left turn junction, started to slow down and signaled to the car waiting to exit the junction I was turning in. Noted some gravel in the middle of the junction and headed for the seemingly clearer area. Next thing I remember is waking up with paramedics putting me in ambulance. :shock: Now have broken clavicle, broken finger and some pretty impressive grazing down left side plus bruised ribs. Witness said front wheel just went from under. Helmet is completely wrecked, split through and covered with indentations on left side, no head injuries though. Had to happen with holiday booked for Monday!! £$%^&* and [@~]=
2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Ouch...........sorry to hear that Conscious. Bad luck with the timing with holidays booked and the weather improving.

On the plus side, at least your helmet apparently did it's job.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Bronzie wrote:
    Ouch...........sorry to hear that Conscious. Bad luck with the timing with holidays booked and the weather improving.

Uh-oh!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ..............hence the insertion of "apparently". Feel free to debate my statement as long as you wish over in "Soapbox". :wink:
  • robmanic1
    Bronzie wrote:
    ..............hence the insertion of "apparently". Feel free to debate my statement as long as you wish over in "Soapbox". :wink:

Yes, see what you did there, phew! :)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Uh-oh!

Yes, far better if he hadn't been wearing a helmet and ripped his ears off.... :wink:
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    ConsciousPilot, ouch! Sounds like a right nasty one hope you heal quick mate :)
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Find out who is responsible for the upkeep of the junction, as there was a case at a club where I used to go to where a motor cyclist hit some gravel / grit at the junction between the drive to the club and the main road. The club was found to be negligent in allowing the grit to be on the road and had to pay compensation to the biker.

I'm not a great believer in the compensation culture but if it's there you may as well use it.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    sounds more like UnConsciousPilot. Sorry couldn't resist. Glad you're OK.
  • sounds more like UnConsciousPilot. Sorry couldn't resist. Glad you're OK.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Bronzie wrote:

That section doesn't exist anymore. So we have to debate it right here. :lol:
  • robmanic1
    Bronzie wrote:

Have a heart, poor old OP is bed-bound and can't even run away! :wink:

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Oh year... sorry to hear about your off ConsciousPilot... or should I say UnConsciousPilot? :P
  • robmanic1
    sounds more like UnConsciousPilot. Sorry couldn't resist. Glad you're OK.

Boingggggg!!!!

• STEFANOS4784
    :lol: , you idiot :P :wink:

Anyway, why all the jokes i'm sure OP aint laughing to hard :(
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I had a bit of a wakeup call a couple of weeks ago when I had a fairly innocuous fall. I came off on a sharp corner where the tarmac's worn smooth there and there was just enough damp in the air to turn the usual mix of oil, petrol and rubber into a slippy emulsion.

I'd been smart and predicted the conditions. I'd slowed to a walking pace. I tried not to lean the bike but it still just went from under me without any warning.

Had I have been going any faster I would have slid and probably picked up a spot of gravel rash. As I was going so slowly I fell more or less straight downwards on my left thigh and shoulder.

At the time, the only apparent injury was small bruise on my thigh and a cut to my right shin where the pedal hit me. I also had a cut over my left eye where my glasses dug in.

A couple of hours later I'd spawned a lump on my hip about the size of your fist on my thigh which even now, 13 days after the fall, is causing me substantial pain and discomfort. My leg is purple (and green and blue etc) from my hip to my calf. The lump is a 10cm oval and is 2cm high.

On Monday the GP diagnosed a hematoma - basically I've burst a fairly major blood vessel which has bled into the soft tissues between the muscles. From the size of the lump I'd say there's a good half pint of blood still in there. it will take 6-8 weeks to heal.

I wasn't wearing a helmet, I rarely do for early weekend rides. I keep it for the daily commute where I feel that I'm more likely to come into contact with other vehicles or be knocked off by them.

I will always wear one from now on. In the wake of the death of Natasha Richardson, it strikes me that the same injury to my brain would have most likley have killed me or left me severely injured.

(BTW Thanks to the motorist who stopped and local householder came out to check that I was ok.)

Bob
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Bronzie wrote:

Do people post soapbox type stuff here now or has it withered away?
    I have pain!
  • STEFANOS4784
    'Campaign' is now for whinging, from what i can gather :wink:
  • DaleH
    DaleH Posts: 12
    ConsciousPilot get well soon ,that was nasty .

Now i don't want to re-ignite the helmet vs no helmet argument again, however,.....i've allways ridden without a helmet ,but with increasing pressure from MrsH and reading the posts on the forum , it looks like i'lll be purchasing a "skid lid "in the very near future.
  • Many thanks for all your concerns. Just back from docs and it appears I've also got a cracked rib as well. Hadnt noticed any pain there on Tuesday. I had entered the 200k East Riding audax on 17th May, will have to wait and see if I'm fit enough by then. Meantime it looks like its going to be the recumbent bike at the gym for while.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    CP, with my ribs it was about 3 weeks to heal...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....