Shoes and Pedals - Info sought please

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
Morning chaps/esses

I'm currently looking at buying some nice pedals (clip ins) and the shoes to go with them. I noticed somewhere someone said to buy shoes one size up than you normally are due to some shoes being quite small - is this the norm or can anyone push me in the right direction.

Secondly, as I am looking to buy soon, does anyone have a set of pedals and shoes (I'm a size 9 - 9.5) that they are maybe looking to flog off together? If so, PM's to me and maybe we can do business.

Thanks all.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    dg74 wrote:
    Morning chaps/esses

I'm currently looking at buying some nice pedals (clip ins) and the shoes to go with them. I noticed somewhere someone said to buy shoes one size up than you normally are due to some shoes being quite small - is this the norm or can anyone push me in the right direction.

This depends on brand, with Shimano I needed 47 instead of my normal 45, with Specialized my normal shoe size worked. Try some in a shop if poss.
    Secondly, as I am looking to buy soon, does anyone have a set of pedals and shoes (I'm a size 9 - 9.5) that they are maybe looking to flog off together? If so, PM's to me and maybe we can do business.

Thanks all.

Maybe put a WTD ad in the classifieds section of the forum.
  • dg74
    alfablue wrote:
    dg74 wrote:
    Morning chaps/esses

This depends on brand, with Shimano I needed 47 instead of my normal 45, with Specialized my normal shoe size worked. Try some in a shop if poss.

Thanks all.

Maybe put a WTD ad in the classifieds section of the forum.

Cheers Alfa - coming up with the goods again.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    dg74 wrote:

Hey 8)

On the classified ad, maybe post in both road and mtb.

SPD's (mtb) are a very good starting point with clipless pedals, they are generally easier to get in and out of, and the shoes can be walked in. When you get confident then maybe graduate to road specific pedals and shoes (I never have though, SPD's on all three bikes, same shoes work on all, pedals perform great).

For cheap but good pedals google Shimano M520 - can get them for around £17 online.
  • dg74
    alfablue wrote:
    dg74 wrote:

Hey 8)

On the classified ad, maybe post in both road and mtb.

SPD's (mtb) are a very good starting point with clipless pedals, they are generally easier to get in and out of, and the shoes can be walked in. When you get confident then maybe graduate to road specific pedals and shoes (I never have though, SPD's on all three bikes, same shoes work on all, pedals perform great).

For cheap but good pedals google Shimano M520 - can get them for around £17 online.

Yeah I had SPD's on my MTB and found them very easy to use. I'll look at going that way again and then, as you say, progress to some nice fancy road shoes and pedals.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I would recommend the Shimano R340 road pedals. I started off with the M520 MTB pedals as recommended above, but soon realised that they aren't as efficient as proper road pedals and road shoes. Theres some great deals at the moment on CRC and Ribble for road shoes/pedals, among other things.
    Shazam !!
  • Elganesh
    Elganesh Posts: 143
    I have Specialized Sport Road shoes which I have a size larger than I normally take. DO NOT take this as a rule though.

Like all shoe manufacturers, those who produce cycling shoes vary massively in their sizing systems. I would strongly urge you to try them on before you buy. Remember to wear the socks you would normally wear on your bike.

If you really want to buy online, try and find a local shop that stocks them so you can at least try the size you're going to order.
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    FWIW my 1st shoes were Pearl Izumi and ordered my normal shoe size and they're to big, Specialized fit nice though :?
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    +1 on the Spesh sizing. I'm usually an 8 and an 8 in Spesh fits me like a glove. Can recommend them too. I have a pair of the Body Geometry's and are comfy as hell.