Specialized Hardrock Pro

ed24
ed24 Posts: 4
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello people, not been riding for a long time, i used to when i was about 16 but i stopped along time ago and i'm going to buy another bike to get back into riding again. Main reason i'm on hear is to ask if anyone has any suggestions for replacement tyres for the hardrock pro as I have read the reviews about the tyres not being too great.

The main reason for me getting this bike is simply because a friend works in a bike shop and is able to get me a good trade discount. Should i really fork out the extra money for the entry level rock hopper or will the hardrock be fine.. I'm just going to be using it for nice summer rides and the occasional off road day out.

many thanks.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I've not found anything wrong with the tyres mate. THey do the job perfectly well if you ask me.

Maybe if you're running downhill competition racing then yeah possibly.

If you don't want them though, throw them in the post to me :)
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I went for the Rockhopper Disc over the Hardrock Pro as it has a better frame and better components. for the extra cash it's definately worth the spend!!!

its the same frame throughout the hopper range so you could easily upgrade it whereas the hardrock pro is the top level hardrock....
    It's been a while...
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    If you're going to put it to good use, go for the Hopper, it's a lighter, faster XC machine and a cracking good bike. If it's just the occassional towpath cruise in the summer then the Hardrock will be more than capable.

Tyres depend on the terrain you're riding. I think the usual complaint with the Spesh rubber is that it's a bit summer-specific, so it'll be good on hard surfaces, but struggle a bit in the mud.

Panaracer Fire XCs are a decent budget all rounder:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Panaracer_Fire_XC_Single_Compound_Tyre/5300004587/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rockhopper a far better bike.
  • I have hard rock pro, and like you have recently got back into riding. Recently i have really started to ride a lot more and have been giving it a real good punishing and it has taken the abuse no problem. The brakes, suspension etc are all spot on and work effectively. As for the tyres i have ridden through mega thick mud and dry dusty trails and I have not noticed any problems on either. My only gripe is the weight of the frame on big up hill runs but it doesn't sound like that would be a problem for you, also i believe this years model is lighter.

In summary, if you are planning on regular long technical rides and can spare the cash get the rockhopper. If you will be cruising along tow paths and the occasional proper ride then go for the hardrock.

hope it helps
  • supersonic wrote:
    Rockhopper a far better bike.

It's a much lighter bike, depends which you go for though :?
  • I found my Hardrock to be a very harsh ride (as well as heavy). I pretty much stopped riding it, and used my Cannondale every ride instead as it was just to punishing on a off road ride.

Not having tried the Rockhopper U can't comment on how much better it is...
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    I got the Hardrock Pro Disc (09) - I am very happy with it. It was brought with a view to giving me an "every day" bike, that was capable of trails etc, and that I wouldn't mind locking up to pop into a shop. Was always going to get something a bit more special depending on how much use the bike got and what I used it for (eyes on Rockhopper, FSR or Scott Spark)

As above, if you have the money, and you are going to do a bit more than light trails then go for the RockHopper. If you need something a bit more all purpose then the Hardrock.

By the way, the weight of the Hardrock (09) does not bother me. You might have to work a bit harder, but you'll get fitter... :)
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • ed24
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate all your replies. It is interesting how a lot of people go on about the weight comparison of the two.

I popped back into the shop today and found out a little bit about the two frames. Apparently now both the 09 rockhopper and hardrock frames have lifetime guarantees and the difference is the hardrock is A1 purchased aluminum and rockhopper is a silica/aluminum mix that they (specialized) create themselves. I think the components are the same between the pro and the disk and to be honest i couldn't really notice a massive difference in weight. I think considering i need to get a lock and lights too I will go for the hardrock.

Again, many thanks you lot I will report back to let you know how i found it.

P.S. Hardrock Rob is right, we should all be riding heavy frames then we would all have no need to go to the gym...

Ed
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, the Rockhopper does get that better frame, and better components. Last year the hopper had the much better Tora fork at this price point. The 09 hopper is also 9 speed, the hardrock isnt. Not a biggie, but I feel the hopper frame is worth the extra on its lonesome.
  • I have got the hopper and its a great bike, I have just upgraded the tyres after a few months use, for around £50 you can change both tires for hoepfully a good summer of riding.
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
    Sports don't build character, they reveal them!!
  • ed24
    Oh dear... road the rock hopper and fell in love... ordered. Anyone recommend a good lock and lights? 8)
  • Well done... great choice,

As with all of this it all depends how much you want to spend, I have only got fairly cheap locks but I do have a very secure garage.
    Lights are a bit more complex, I again have cats eye lights which represent great value for money but they are really only good for riding on well lit streets. I have done some cross country nights in the last week or so and by 7.30 it can get very exciting! but the clocks change soon so nice light evenings are on the way.
    My friend has fashioned a set of LED lights for abot £150 and they are amazing and light up everything but to buy retail they are very expensive, so it depends what you want to do?
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
  • Well done... great choice,

As with all of this it all depends how much you want to spend, I have only got fairly cheap locks but I do have a very secure garage.
    Lights are a bit more complex, I again have cats eye lights which represent great value for money but they are really only good for riding on well lit streets. I have done some cross country nights in the last week or so and by 7.30 it can get very exciting! but the clocks change soon so nice light evenings are on the way.
    My friend has fashioned a set of LED lights for abot £150 and they are amazing and light up everything but to buy retail they are very expensive, so it depends what you want to do?
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    ed24 wrote:
    Oh dear... road the rock hopper and fell in love... ordered. Anyone recommend a good lock and lights? 8)

Great move mate. You'll enjoy it - great bike. And, and if you think it stops and locks and lights...
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I tried to buy a hardrock last year but they didn't have it in my size. Was determined to buy a bike that day so paid the extra and got the Rockhopper. So glad that I did, I've never ridden a bike that just feels so right.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    ed24 wrote:

Good choice mate, great bike. Now you've just got to get it out on a good trail and see what it can really do! :D
  • but I feel the hopper frame is worth the extra on its lonesome.

i loveeeee the frame, and the bike, much better than the 09 version. value wise
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners