Little Mountain TT Query

mikeh202
mikeh202 Posts: 45
Evening All
Can someone give me some advice about this Beacon RCC event please. I was just about to enter it but thought I should just check I am not going to make a prat of myself! Do people do it on a road bikes or is everyone else going to be on TT bikes? Do any moderate riders do this or is it all hard core racers? I'm not scared to have a crack but I don't want to be the slowest rider by 30 mins!! The only giude I have as to my pace/ fitness/ ability is that I did the spring epic in 3hrs10.
Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    PM BeaconRuth for THE ANSWER, but from what I gather reading about her posts on previous years events, they get a high turnout of novice time trial riders using standard road bikes and they have as much fun as it's possible to have when you are riding flat out for 38 miles up and down the hills. So I'm pretty sure you won't feel out of place and you will set yourself a time to better next year.

PS You'd have been better posting this in "Amateur Race".
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Thanks, Bronzie, that just about sums it up. Loads of complete novices entered last year, the only problem being that I had to turn some away as the event was oversubscribed. Entries are ahead of where we were at the same time last year, too, so looks like being another packed event. :D

Full details and how to enter here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html

Ruth
  • mikeh202 wrote:
    Evening All
    Can someone give me some advice about this Beacon RCC event please. I was just about to enter it but thought I should just check I am not going to make a prat of myself! Do people do it on a road bikes or is everyone else going to be on TT bikes? Do any moderate riders do this or is it all hard core racers? I'm not scared to have a crack but I don't want to be the slowest rider by 30 mins!! The only giude I have as to my pace/ fitness/ ability is that I did the spring epic in 3hrs10.
    Any thoughts please?

Just to add to Ruth's comments, you will certainly not make a 'prat' of yourself. The roadman's prize is hotly contested and the event is not purely a time trial bike event for that reason.

As I understand it, the fastest times on the Epic last year were around 3 hours. If you were only 10 minutes behind then I would guess that you are a reasonably quick rider suited to this terrain. On that logic, you should give it a go, assuming that your entry succeeds.

As for the type of entrants, it is a mix of all sorts. Clearly, there are a few hard nuts but at the other end of the scale, there is a large number of 'lets give at go' brigade - many of whom enter this event alone, year on year.

As an approximation, the times very between 1-40 and 2-45 and therefore covers a huge range of abilities. The fastest roadman is at around 1-50. If your from is 3 hours on the Epic, then you could probably expect a time of between 2-05 & 2-20 - so nothing to you have nothing to worry about!

This is actually a great time trial for sportivers. Plenty of hills on a technical course. I have spoken to a few sportive guys that have expressed a desire to enter the LMTT as part of their training regimes. In fact, the infamous Phil Weaver of Epic RC, organiser of the Epic events, was talking about entering. He will certainly be one to watch out for on the hills.

I usually enter in the roadman category and love it but will have to forego my entry this year. It is a day after The Elenith and I doubt that I will be able to stand on two feet :roll: .
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    A very mundane question: what time is the first person off? I'm trying to decide whether to drive down or to stay over the night before.

Thanks,
    Andy

(formerly 'vermooten')
  • Generally, the first rider sets off at 8am and every one minute thereafter for each of the 120 riders. So between 8am and 10am'ish
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    AndyRubio wrote:
    A very mundane question: what time is the first person off? I'm trying to decide whether to drive down or to stay over the night before.

Thanks,
    Andy
    Yes, the first rider will be off at 8.01am and the last at 10.00am if we have a full field. It's not uncommon to ask for a late start if travelling a long way on the day - I could try to start you off after about 9.30ish if that would help. Drop me an email if you'd like to request that. It's not always possible to oblige, but if possible I'll try to.

Ruth