Repair and Service or New Bike?

MILLSY99
MILLSY99 Posts: 5
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi There,

I would much appreciate some advice, I have a 2 yr old Trek 4300 disc bike, I have used it a lot over the past 2 years in all weathers, It has now come to the stage where there are a few things that are needing fixed and replaced. At the weekend I noticed a loud pranging from the back wheel, after checking I notice 3 spokes have broke away from the back wheel, I have a few things that are needing done such as the brake pads front and rear for mechanical discs, I not up on how much this would cost, on top of a service, whether it would be worth my while or better off purchasing new bike

Could anyone give me an estimate how much it would be to repair the rear wheel, tru front wheel and replace the brake pad along with a standard service, I suppose if this over £100 it minght be worth looking at a new bike, I only have the one bike shop in my area, if anyone can give advice that would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    err for your poll, you ask Repair and Service or New Bike - yes or no, well, we can't say yes to both lol.
    I would definitely recommend getting it fixed and serviced. It depends on your local shop, but I took mine to Stif in leeds (being local to me) and they serviced the bike, replaced some parts and also built a new back wheel for about £120 in total.
    Seems more logical than spending a few hundred pounds on a new bike.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • MILLSY99
    MILLSY99 Posts: 5
    I know, I got abit excited at a poll being there!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Basic service and wheel rebuild should be less than 100 quid.
  • Sounds like a similar situation to me. Go for the repair like me, spend a few quid and give it a new lease of life. At least this way you can keep riding while you save for a new bike if thats what you want in the long run, unless you are rich or something! At least if it works you can either keep it as a spare or sell it later on.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do both.

Fix old bike up AND get new bike!!!
  • Buy a new bike. A service won't make you grin like a fool, a new bike will..... :D:D
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Sounds like you could do some or all of it yourself.