First Trip To Afan Forset

jimmer2704
jimmer2704 Posts: 23
edited March 2009 in Routes
Hi,

Just a bit of generel advice please. I am going to Afan forset for the first time in 2 weeks time. I have got a rockhopper disc 08 which I know will be a little out of its depth but will have to make do, however I did think about some new tires, I currently have the specialized Fast Track LK whick are ok but get tricky in the thick stuff or sandy conditions, does anyone think a new set tires are needed if so any ideas??

Also is there anything obvious that anyone would advise to pack in the camelback for the trails?

Thanks

Jimmer
Jimmer
Rockhopper '08
Sports don't build character, they reveal them!!

Comments

• Going by my past experience I'd recommend a good waterproof jacket!!
    That bike will get you around fine. You'll just be a little slower on the descents than those riding FS rigs.
    I ride Conti Mountain Kings at Afan, and get on really well with them there. Tyre choice is very much bike/person specific however.
    You'll enjoy the day's riding, whatever you ride!!!!

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • What loop are you doing? Afan is an awesome day out, something there for everyone.
    I currently use Specialized The Captains and they get me round no probs. Obviously there are a few hair raisin moments, but I find them to be the best compromising between rolling resistance and grip. As Brad said though, it is mainly personal preference, different people want different bikes to handle in different ways, so it will be a bit of an experiment for you! I do think though that the Fast Traks are not quite enough at the moment, still quite muddy up there!
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replies, i did have a feeling it was more down to a personal choice on the tires, but hoped for a point in the right direction with all the thousands of choices!!!
    I am not sure on which trails we will run, I know my mate who I am going with, defo wants to do skyline but we are there three days so should get a few in. can you recommensd any other loops?
    All the small trails locally ( dorset) are improving but still very boggy in places, so fingers crossed it should be ok.

Thanks for the advice on the waterproof although that was already packed!!!

Cheers
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
  • Richard2118
    Richard2118 Posts: 230
    Depending on how fit you are 3 whole days could work really well for you and enable you to do all the trails at both afan centres and maybe drive up to brechfa an hour away and do the black and red routes as a big ride.

Last time we stayed there we did Penhydd and the wall either side of lunch on day one .
    Day 2 whites level and then skyline july ( which is up to the first short cut and gives you the best bits without some of the pointless fire road, it is around the same length as whites done this way and for me a better ride than all of it )

We have also done all of brechfa in one day so this could be day three ( or any mix of the above) although there is no cafe etc at brechfa.

Whatever its a great area and we do it loads as a day trip from Surrey because we all love it.

Tyres wise I ride Kenda Nevgal DTC all year round and find they have enough of everything to suit most conditions other than really bad mud,. That said having been p***ed upon several times in Wales the trail centres are fine for my tyres as they are hard packed and rockier than my home trails , more like riding up a stream than muddy.

Hope this helps
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks for that, yes that helps. We are probably better than average fitness but its hard to say because the hills of Dorset are a little smaller than those in Wales!!

Thanks for the advice on the tires, I have already made a purchase based on the advice of my LBS, tried them out today and very pleased.

Thanks for you advice
    Jimmer
    Rockhopper '08
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I live and ride in essex and had no trouble with the hills as there arn't to hard really.
    As far as bike goes anything will be fine as long as you can ride it.
    I'm taking my fixed gear cx bike with me next time withe 23cc slick tyres :D

Might not do the black :!: [/img]
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I live and ride in essex and had no trouble with the hills as there arn't to hard really.
    As far as bike goes anything will be fine as long as you can ride it.
    I'm taking my fixed gear cx bike with me next time with 23cc slick tyres :D

Might not do the black :!: [/img]