Wheels!

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
edited March 2009 in Track
i'm looking for some track wheels to race on this season and beyond...
i have saved up £250 pounds and was wondering if anyone had some opinions for the best wheelset for this price.

thanks in advance, jack

Comments

• J M W
    J M W Posts: 6
    For that budget you can get youself a set of Navigator Pistas & a decent set of tubs/tyres, with a bit of change for a new chainring etc!

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk/product ... 25-13.html

I've been using the tubular version & never had any cause for complaint! The flippable rear is pretty handy too, for warming up/cooling down etc with minimal fuss to change the gear!
  • jimycooper
    ok, i'll look into them.

anyone have experiance with mavic ellipses? if so worh it?
  • torin
    torin Posts: 102
    i havent used elipses myself but they are meant to be great i rode on navigator pistas for a while and the were nice but i couldnt feel much differnce to cheap wheels
  • jimycooper
    cheers for that. i have a friend who says nothing but good stuff about them, might have to fork out and buy them :D
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I run an ellipse front on the road, I got it cheap. tbh, it's not that great, 20 spokes but weighs over 1kg. Strong, but not a great race wheel imo.

and I think the rear ellipse uses a weird chainline. For £300+ I wouldn't buy them.

You'd be better off getting some wheels built, maybe some Dura Ace hubs on some tubular rims or something.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    jimycooper wrote:
    ok, i'll look into them.

anyone have experiance with mavic ellipses? if so worh it?

Cyclefit had a pair of these on sale (£225). I nearly got them but they had some hand-builts on Record I got instead

www.cyclefit.co.uk

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/artic ... 97/v/1/sp/
    M.Rushton
  • jimycooper
    thanks a lot mrushton, couldnt find any for less than £300.

all the reviews i've read sound great so i think they should be with me by the end of the week :D
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    How about Miche Pistards? Gets you nice hubs.