New Knee Pain

talkshowhost
talkshowhost Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I'm not exactly new to cycling. I guess I've been at it two years now, but recently I have noticed a pain down the outside of my right knee. It starts right in the crook of the outside and goes about three inches down the back of my calf.

Recently I moved my saddle up. That's when it started, but I've since moved the saddle back down and nothing happened. I have also tried adjusting my cleats. This hasn't made a great deal of difference. It takes a good three or four days for it to settle each time, which is bad news, as I'm training for a triathlon in six weeks!

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, bearing in mind I've never had this problem before?

Thanks.

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Simple answer would be to rest, if you've pulled something then it will need to heal even if you have put things back to how they were. Take a few anti inflamatories and rest it up or you might do some long term damage
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey there,

Go and see your physiotherapist. It sounds similair to tendonitis, which in my case lingered until my physio' recommended some stretching excersises.

Whatever you do, don't go mental with the training and just hope it goes away.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Thanks for the tips guys, it's still not completely gone, but I have been icing and stretching and taking NSAID's, I think I'll give it another couple days, maybe catch up on my swimming!
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I also recently had some problems with my right knee. I think it must have been a result of not getting out much over the winter. It was so bad on monday (first 'proper' ride this year) that I was spinning using just my left leg. Went for a ride on tuesday and it started out alright but when I was at the furthest point from my house it became very painful. Had a day off on wednesday and it seemed to do the trick. Went for a really good ride on thursday, with loads of long climbs and the knee was good as gold.
    I used to get knee troubles from running. A long distance runner told me that it was caused by running lots of miles on the road and the slight camber that roads tend to have at the edge. I switched to more cross country running and the problem cleared up.

Good luck with the triathlon matey.