Forming your own club...

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited March 2009 in Amateur race
I am doing a bit of research for my blog into what it takes to form a club.

Click here

Any one got some idea in terms of cost and how the process works?

Comments

• OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    Hi there
    You could become a section of the National Clarion with hardly any financial outlay (£6 for each member plus any section fee you might want to set up). As a section of the Clarion you will get affiliation to the BCF and CTT, you just need a secretary . Our club - west lothian clarion began last year and then became independent this year, but is still a section of the clarion. Many of our members are from a sportive background and haven't been in a club before and seem to enjoy the camaraderie and benefit of riding together.

National Clarion site: http://www.clarioncc.org/
    West Lothian Clarion: http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/

It looks like (from your photo) you were in the Fenland Clarion so you'll know the benefits of being in a clarion club.

MAtt
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW you can take a look at our local race clubs website for whatever you can get from it. Maumee Valley Wheelmen. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me
    and I'll try to give you whatever help and input I can or I'll ask one of our club officers.

www.freewheel.com

Dennis Noward
  • jimmythecuckoo
    OS 65 wrote:
    Hi there
    You could become a section of the National Clarion with hardly any financial outlay (£6 for each member plus any section fee you might want to set up). As a section of the Clarion you will get affiliation to the BCF and CTT, you just need a secretary . Our club - west lothian clarion began last year and then became independent this year, but is still a section of the clarion. Many of our members are from a sportive background and haven't been in a club before and seem to enjoy the camaraderie and benefit of riding together.

National Clarion site: http://www.clarioncc.org/
    West Lothian Clarion: http://www.westlothianclarion.co.uk/

It looks like (from your photo) you were in the Fenland Clarion so you'll know the benefits of being in a clarion club.

MAtt
    I am still in the Fenland. Just thinking about doing it a different way perhaps.

Dont tell them :wink:
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    I've started a club.
    £88 I recall for BCF affliation, £40 for CTT affliation. Price of club kit varies depending where from and design/colours.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    And is there a lot of admin annually or does it depend?

Is there only you in the club and how does that work with minimum clothing orders?

Sorry to answer with a load more questions :roll:
  • OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    Administration of West Lothian Clarion is mainly collecting subs and sending to the National Clarion. We had about 5 members for a while and then suddenly went up to 40-odd. We sent out a mail out to members once a week which has developed into a blog. After a year we elected a committee, wrote a constitution (required for affiliation to the SCU) and ordered kit - we ended up spending £3000!

Initially we met for club runs but as the club has grown we organise events like TTs and reliability trails. A clarion section wouldn't have to fork anything out to the BCF and CTT.

Some jersey manufacturers have a minimum order of 5 jerseys see: http://www.owayo.co.uk/

If it's only you, though, I don't see much point in setting up a club, you could just ride as an independent and in a plain jersey. Get a BCF racing license for insurance. It sounds like you're more interested in Sportives - Isn't it only TT racing that requires you to be a member of a club?

People join clubs to do things that they wouldn't be able to do on their own - like ride in groups and take part in club competitions, meet like-minded people, have a social life, test yourself against other members, pick up tips and chat about cycling. Not much of a club if its only you!

On your blog you say that you'd only invite people to join your club. What are you offering people when they join besides riding with yourself? If it's a club for people who don't want to be in a club why would they join your club?

Most clubs organise events that allow non members to take part. If you are an independent club will you organise events to contribute to the local cycling community for the generosity in allowing you to enter their events?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Good points indeed.

It's just something I have always wanted to do :D
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    It is quite good fun and nice to have your own club. We managed a 2nd and 4th place in a SERRL race last year. Looked good having our club name up there.

People can be too serious, we only have a membership of 3 people, but often get asked if others can join. We're just friends racing together.