Yet another Turbo thread....

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
My girlfriend has just sold my turbo out from under me as I've finsihed with it for the winter now. I had a very basic model (Cycle-Ops Magneto) and it has served me brilliantly, done 3 nights a week over 2 winters now, getting me in racing shape.

I've used it for turbo-ing along with the CTS DVDs, with the Sufferfest videos and with cycling DVDs which i quite enjoy and I've definitley felt the benefits. My criticisms of it are that it feels nowt like the road, it's fricken noisy and it causes vibration to go through the floor even when on a mat.

So now i've got a bit of money to spare, and don't have to buy the cheapest thing available (a real boon for a racing cyclist), I'd like a new turbo for next winter. I've a few months to make my mind up (as my turbo programme doesn't start again til October) and would like something that will last and will eliminate the problems above.

I liked the look of the Kurt Kinetic (is the it the Roand Machine?), and my training buddy swears by the Tackx Imagic. Can anybody give me any advice on the features and pros and cons of these? I'm not sure about the computerised models as I've grown to quite like my own workouts and the DVD ones I have so feedback on the pre-programmed workouts and the facility to input your own would be handy too.

I know this crops up every day but i'd be grateful for some advice from experience.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent